HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

That's pretty infected. My guess would be there's no eye left in there. If there is any way, she should have some oral antibiotics. Barring that, I would try to clean out as much as possible from the area at least once a day. You can try a warm compress on the eye for 5 to 10 mins, or as long as she'll tolerate up to 10 mins. Run a washcloth or clean rag under the hot water faucet to a temp that is comfortable to your wrist, and hold it over the eye area. If you can get some terramycin, apply that after cleaning. Neosporin in a pinch. It's good news that she is eating better and is perkier. This could be a bit of a long haul, but things look hopeful.

My beloved Lucy was brutally injured by a raccoon 2 nights ago. I only have 3 hens and we heard the commotion and scared it away before it injured my other 2, but Lucy was in pretty bad shape - we found her laying lifeless, noticed she was breathing and thought we were going to have to put her out of her misery right away until she darted up flying around, and so we decided to clean her up and assess the situation.

We brought her into the laundry room and created a soft bed for her in a large plastic bin. There are no injuries on her body, but her head was basically scalped and she can't open one eye. We cleaned her up with warm water and disinfectant spray, and picked off all of debris from her head, and gave her a small amount of asprin water for pain the first morning. We are now on the second day and she has zero quality of life, but I can't bring myself to end her life as she is fighting so hard and I feel that she may make a comeback. We have not given her any more asprin water, and have kept her bedding and wounds clean, and I have started to put neosporin on her.

What concerns me though: Her one eye that is open is very bloodshot. This could be from some of the disinfectant spray accidentally getting into it? She is drooling a fairly mucus-like drool pretty consistently. She is extremely lethargic, but will very randomly kind of come-to and walk around a bit.
However: She is very receiving of care, leans her head back to take water from a dropper, loves being held, and the crazy thing is she even laid an egg last night. I only have a flock of 3 and she is the best layer, the most friendly, and all around our favorite hen. I want to do what's best for her and I am so torn between ending her pain and misery or helping her through this time as I feel ending her life would be hard, but the easy way out for me if she should have a chance. She's only 2 so she would have a lot of life to live.

Please help!! What would you do?!
Photos:
View attachment 1436469
View attachment 1436482
We had a chicken get her neck basically cut off because the roosters spurs went into her neck. I treated the wound and cared for her. She made a full recovery. I was really surprised she made it through all of that. The gash went from one side of her neck to the other and we seen bones.

I just got the infection out of her eye, or as much as I could see in there. It was a huge clump and she was such a trooper. I then flushed it with a saline solution then regular water. I will try to find some oral antibiotics and the terramycin today. Her eye has already gone down half of the size in swelling. I'll try to get photos soon to share the progress.

Thanks everyone for the help!

I think she has Conjunctivitis. She has been on topical antibiotics for 2 days now and her eye is pushing a cheese-like puss out of it, and she is no longer oozing out of her nostril. She will drink water but not eat. Should I force food down her throat?

Does anyone have experience with Terramycin and what should I expect?

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/conjunctivitis

Attachments

• 15299365173433889495499409516710.jpg
    15299365173433889495499409516710.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 22
I think she has Conjunctivitis. She has been on topical antibiotics for 2 days now and her eye is pushing a cheese-like puss out of it, and she is no longer oozing out of her nostril. She will drink water but not eat. Should I force food down her throat?

Does anyone have experience with Terramycin and what should I expect?

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/conjunctivitis
It looks to me like there is puss in her ear or at least under the skin around her ear behind her eye. Keep removing as much of it as possible.
If she isn't eating you can try and entice her with wet feed or scrambled egg. If not you may want to consider tube feeding. @casportpony is the expert on that. She had a great thread on how to do it.
I've never used terramycin so I can't so how it would work.

Back
Top Bottom