HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

Chickens don't make wet gooey pus like other animals. Their pus is dry and cheese like (it's because of the type of white cells they have). So it comes out in chunks. Keep it as clean as possible and you can put triple antibiotic cream in there (without pain killer, just the plain neosporin).

I’m so sorry, poor girl. That’s a large wound, I’ve had lots of luck with bactene (spell?) or any antiseptic spay with a contact pain killer in healing small puncture wounds.
If you can make out where there is skin you might try pulling it together (I have stitched small wounds up myself using sore throat spray as a numbing agent...everything has to be super clean) or try making butterfly stitches out of bandaids just to pull any skin back in place, as it dries torn skin has a tendency to curl back on itself.

Peace full warm places help in the healing process.
Good luck

Terramycin works great if it's injected.
My Roo had one injection and the vet sent home some liquid oral for 5 days.
Roo did a very quick turn around, and he was down bad with upper respiratory and cat bites.
Of course he was young, big , strong and meaner than sin before the attacks.
After day three Roo was his old self again.

Ul s
Terramycin works great if it's injected.
My Roo had one injection and the vet sent home some liquid oral for 5 days.
Roo did a very quick turn around, and he was down bad with upper respiratory and cat bites.
Of course he was young, big , strong and meaner than sin before the attacks.
After day three Roo was his old self again.

Inject the Terramycin? I don't have a vet that will see her but I definitely think she needs some antibiotics working from the inside. Do you have a suggestion for over the counter antibiotics that could work internally? I'm really at a loss of what to do. It seems like she's getting better, but there is white puss coming out from everywhere, even her forehead pores, and I think she could use some more help.

Ul s

Inject the Terramycin? I don't have a vet that will see her but I definitely think she needs some antibiotics working from the inside. Do you have a suggestion for over the counter antibiotics that could work internally? I'm really at a loss of what to do. It seems like she's getting better, but there is white puss coming out from everywhere, even her forehead pores, and I think she could use some more help.
Farm and Ranch or TSC might have the injectables, but check first with a vet on dosages as it varies by size.
Our Roo was injected in the middle left breast area. But the vet did that.
Some states won't sell OTC injections without written script from vet.
There's not a small animal vet you could call and ask for a referral?
So sorry for your baby.

She needs antibiotics.
Do you have a Tractor Supply? Look in the refrigerated section for Procaine
Penicillin G.
Get some 20guage needles and some syringes. Dosage is 1/4cc injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep. Alternate sides each day. Give for 4days minimum, you can go up to 7days.

I would continue to get the pus out of the eye and apply your ointment, use only saline or sterile water for the flushing. I realize it can get expensive buying prepared saline, so you can make it yourself at home - 1teaspoon salt to 1quart of water, boil for 15minutes. Put it in a sterile jar. Make a fresh batch everyday.

Hope you’re chicken is getting better. You may be able to pick up injectable antibiotics from your regular small animal vet, if you have a good relationship with them.

For example: “Hey doc, one of my chickens got attacked by a raccoon and I’m wanting to try a round of antibiotics to give it a better chance at kicking any infection. I know it may die anyway, but she has made it (x amount of) days and it’s worth a shot. It weighs (x) pounds, what do you recommend ... besides lopping it’s head off?”

Yes, you have to have a slight sense of humor in these situations, when a vet is not accustomed to treating exotics. Also, consider that they may be afraid to disappoint you with an attempted treatment that may not work, which causes people to leave nasty reviews, & is half the reason they may be afraid to try anything. If you go in letting them know that it’s just an attempt to try to save a sick bird, and that you won’t hold this non-exotic vet responsible for its possible demise, they are more likely to help.

They may send you home with some Baytril. It worked wonders on one of our ducks who almost lost his life to the neighbors dog.

Just my two cents.

Good luck with it all!:fl

Back
Top Bottom