HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

Ul s

Inject the Terramycin? I don't have a vet that will see her but I definitely think she needs some antibiotics working from the inside. Do you have a suggestion for over the counter antibiotics that could work internally? I'm really at a loss of what to do. It seems like she's getting better, but there is white puss coming out from everywhere, even her forehead pores, and I think she could use some more help.
Oxytetracycline injectable from TSC.

Don't know how it goes in other states, but here in Ca it is illegal for a vet to dispense medications without examining the animal. Some may do it anyway, IDK, but most won't. Not worth risking their license for one animal.

I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread.. but it's coming up on 3 weeks and Lucy is recovering, slowly but surely. We gave her 4 penicillin shots (1/day for 4 days), and that seemed to help. Her last one was a week ago, last Friday. Her infection is still draining albeit very slowly. She's still pretty swollen on that side of her face (photo attached) Do you think I should give her a second round of penicillin? If so, when?

She's now eating and drinking on her own, getting her wit back about her, and a little less lethargic but certainly not back to normal. I still feed her grubs, yogurt, and oregano by hand and her vitamin water through a dropper to be sure she is getting enough nutrients.

In the photo collages of 3 photos: The bottom left is when it happened, bottom right is one week, and top is a couple days ago.
Let me know what you think with the progress, and any suggestions from here!
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20180703_125021.jpg
    IMG_20180703_125021.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180703_124810.jpg
    IMG_20180703_124810.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20180703_124411.jpg
    20180703_124411.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 21
If she still has areas where the skin hasn't grown back check out Lambert Kay EMT gel, or Trophy EMT gel. It's known as a first aid kit in a tube. TSC has it. IMHO it's the best stuff there is when it comes to bad wounds. Way better than Neosporin.
It grows skin where you would think could never heal.
I spray the wound with a solution of Povidone-iodine, then apply the EMT gel. Stuff is amazing .

I am really happy to hear this. It has given me lots of good information on what to do if something similar happens to one of my birds. They really are tough. I'm glad she's rewarding your patience and diligence. I hope she continues to make good progress! I helped nurse a friend of mine's hen that got her head mauled by a racoon, not as bad as yours, but pretty bad. I think the poor hen got tired of me trying to doctor her and finally decided to get better (she was really mopey, not eating, etc) so I would stop bothering her :) I threatened to tube feed her after spoon feeding her scrambled eggs, and she was like "that's the last straw, put me back out with the others". SO we did and she's slowing getting back to normal.

She's back on her second round of antibiotics and healing quite well except the swelling on her head is still very large. She is much more active, and eating and drinking on her own completely now. She's cleaning herself and scratching where her scabs are, so I am trying to be sure to keep them clean and cut any hanging scab off so she doesn't tear her skin.

I'm still just concerned about how much the top of her head is still swollen. What do you think? I posted a photo of the swelling from July 3rd before, and these photos are from today - so about a weeks progress. I know patience is a huge part of it, but the swelling should have subsided more than this by now, right?

She wipes her beak back and forth on the ground more than usual (like looking for grubs) and does the yawning motion of stretching her neck almost like when a rooster crows, and shakes her head a lot, also makes kind of a clicking sound with her beak, but no sneezing. There is drainage from her eye still and I can see movement like she's moving her eye under where it's swollen. It makes me think she's definitely trying to clear her sinuses, but that still doesn't really explain how swollen the top of her head is. That was definitely the worst injury, as everything else is pretty far along the healing process. She's growing more skin and feathers pretty quickly.

Is there anything I can do to facilitate her sinuses clearing and about this swollen head? Also, I know I shouldn't put her back with the others anytime soon, but she's not contagious with respiratory infection for the rest of her life is she?

Attachments

• 20180711_062057.jpg
    20180711_062057.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180711_062044.jpg
    20180711_062044.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180711_061934.jpg
    20180711_061934.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom