HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

Can you see anything in her mouth? Could there be puss clogging her sinuses?

I would open up that area above her eye.
10BAB196-DF1A-48EF-95F7-7CAC5C6C216E.jpeg

I’m wondering what that bumb behind her head is?

I would make a cut where I drew the green line and try to get as much puss out of that area as possible.

Yes all of the puss is out of her eye, (at least the socket) just in the top of her head I guess but there's no route for it to escape. It's coming through her pores but not quick enough I'm afraid. Unfortunately I don't have a vet here that I can take her to.
The bump is just a piece of skin that was displaced during her attack.
So you think I should cut open the top of her head? How?

Also I just noticed she has two puffy little places - one on the top of her right shoulder, and one right under her neck. I know these were not there before. She did just loose her balance (she is quite active) and fall over a minute ago which may have caused this but it's still strange.

What a journey this has been and thank you for your continued support!
So cut open the top of her head!?

Attachments

• 20180711_070901.jpg
    20180711_070901.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180711_070855.jpg
    20180711_070855.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180711_070840.jpg
    20180711_070840.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180711_070730.jpg
    20180711_070730.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 12
Wow... She's a fighter! Reminds me of my EE that got attacked by and rescued from two different Coopers Hawks in one day.
Soon after recovery and stopping intensive care she was taken away.

I hate to be a noodge but have the raccoon(s) been taken out of the picture? Your girl may well recover and then succumb if not.

A loop of sterile thick cotton thread pushed through the head pussball with a sterile sewing needle then tied off in a loop can drain the pus and you can put in ointment as well leaving the string in place and working it back and forth to keep draining. Easy to remove when no longer needed.

The string a needle method sounds easy enough. And yes this girl is seriously a fighter. We secured the coop with padlocks, and we move today, so will no longer have to worry about the coon - at least the one in this neighborhood. I'm actually starting to think it was a skunk instead because I've been smelling one around recently.

Other than that, she's doing the yawning motion more and more. Not sure if there's puss in her throat but is there anything I need to do for that? Anything I can put under her nose or feed her that will facilitate clearing things up quicker?

Also what are those puffy places? Just bruising?

Bless her heart! She is doing so much better❤️
Yours too! Such a good "momma".
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Also, I agree with the thread loop for drainage.
Have you checked the roof of her mouth?

@casportpony may be able to help your with getting that opened up and removed https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sinus-surgery-video.1081042/

Those "squishy" places - do they feel like they are filled with air? She may have a ruptured air sac. Those sometimes go down on their own, but you may need to release the air IF they don't go down or if she has trouble breathing - that may account for the neck stretching.
upload_2018-7-11_10-48-18.png

The puffy places could be either inflamed tissue or pus pockets. They could also just be thin fluid under the skin like a blister. What do they feel like to touch? Bruises under the skin would be darker in appearance just like on us.

A nasal decongestant spray such as oxymetazoline hcl may help relieve the excessive mucus temporarily. The OTC pump mist for people works just fine sprayed on or wiped on the nictitating membrane where it also can get into the nasal areas. Don't overdo it. 1 spritz or wipe from the palm of your hand 2x a day.

They just feel like air. I'll wait on those a bit. After all of this time, this is honestly quite overwhelming particularly now that she's acting pretty normal but keeps having more issues coming up. What a learning experience!

Her swollen head is really hard to the touch . The sinus surgery video was no longer available. Since it's so hard, do you think the needle and thread will work? Where should I do it? Where Flyingnunfarm suggested?

Back
Top Bottom