HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

Pics
I still suggest getting the puss out of around her eye but I understand it’s not something everyone can easily do. Do you know an other chicken people close by you could ask for help?

I agree that being with the flock can be beneficial to their health. I would think supervised visits would be good for her. If you’re worried about the wound on her neck you can always cover it. A sock without the toe would work. Any fabric tube that won’t restrict her breathing.

Well everyone, she is on the home stretch! She's acting totally normal, eating and drinking, and back in the coop with her sisters full time. She still has a lump on her head, but feathers are coming up everywhere they are supposed to and the skin is growing back nicely. I doubt she'll ever see out of that one eye, and she might just have a lump for now on as I think that's just how it grew back since she had such a bad gash on the top of her head.

Thank you for all of your help! She still has some recovery to go through, but other than with my monitoring to be sure she's getting enough to eat/drink and continuing to get better, I think this resilient little bird can handle it from here. She's having a little trouble integrating back into the flock, so I'm glad I didn't leave her separated for too much longer. Luckily she's pretty feisty and only getting picked on ever so often by one hen that she can get away from pretty easily - even with just one eye. There are several perches and hiding places she can escape to for rest as well.

What an experience! Hopefully this thread is helpful to others in the future.

Well everyone, she is on the home stretch! She's acting totally normal, eating and drinking, and back in the coop with her sisters full time. She still has a lump on her head, but feathers are coming up everywhere they are supposed to and the skin is growing back nicely. I doubt she'll ever see out of that one eye, and she might just have a lump for now on as I think that's just how it grew back since she had such a bad gash on the top of her head.

Thank you for all of your help! She still has some recovery to go through, but other than with my monitoring to be sure she's getting enough to eat/drink and continuing to get better, I think this resilient little bird can handle it from here. She's having a little trouble integrating back into the flock, so I'm glad I didn't leave her separated for too much longer. Luckily she's pretty feisty and only getting picked on ever so often by one hen that she can get away from pretty easily - even with just one eye. There are several perches and hiding places she can escape to for rest as well.

:woot

I'm glad to hear she is doing much better!

When you have time, would love to see updated photos of her. You have done a very good job with her.

Back
Top Bottom