Help, is it too late in the year?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kalaim, Sep 18, 2008.

1. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I had ordered some pullets that were to be delivered to be mid September and now the farmer bailed on me!!

They were to be 8 week old, I had wanted to skip the chick stage.

But now I'm back to square one, and thinking maybe I will order some chicks.

Is it too late? I live in Wisconsin, at best I would get the chicks here by October, maybe the first week or so.

Would I be able to get them outside for winter etc?

I'm really mad, but now kind of excited looking at www.mypetchicken.com and seeing all the different breeds I could order, maybe it won't be so bad.

But I'm so mad that I'm set back a few months now, I could have ordered them in July, when I placed my pullet order!!

Thanks for any info!![​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You can still order chicks. You would have to keep them in a brooder with a lamp for heat until they are fully feathered. Then they could go outside into a draft-free, insulated coop. They would still need the lamp for heat for awhile, especially at night.

It's a bit more work than ordering them in the spring, but it can be done!

3. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Do what ChickenToes said and you could do it. I couldn't I wouldn't have the patience or the space all winter. As it is I've got about 80 - 7 week old chicks and guineas and I wish they were older because half will be in my garage where my car ought to be till almost Christmas. And I found out that the Amish won't process birds that late in the year.

I am doomed. [​IMG]

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    ok, so I'm getting my next shipment of birds on October 2nd, so maybe I could get another batch for the brooder six weeks later? No, that's probably really pushing it. But but but... I wanna! I could do more meaties November -> March, then another batch March -> June!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by