Help! Is my duck alive?

ljg

Hatching
Jun 2, 2021
Help!! I’m on estimated day 35 on my incubating duck eggs. It’s a white crested & Cayuga duck egg. Alive or dead? I see no movement? It doesn’t really have a smelI. Is there even a possibility it’s alive?
C297EDB5-D4C3-41AF-986A-C37B6175B199.jpeg
C297EDB5-D4C3-41AF-986A-C37B6175B199.jpeg
2E843D74-4679-47C5-AFE9-C634A53ACD0F.jpeg

Sorry, but I do not think so.
Thank you for a response. What makes you say this so I know what to look for in the future?

Sorry, but I do not think so.
Thank you for a response. What makes you say this so I know what to look for in the future?
I have hatched many and after the hatch date if I candle and see that graded color -red then black, it usually means the duckling/chick did not pip in time and the membrane is drying and pulling away from the egg. You can make a small exploratory hole in the shell over the air sac to see in. If that baby is alive, which is unlikely on day 35, it will move. If not, you can do an eggtopsy. Most likely you will find a fully formed, but dead, duckling. Hatching is hard work with a limited amount of time and many do not make it. It’s why they say not to count your chickens (or ducks) before they hatch. Sorry!

I have hatched many and after the hatch date if I candle and see that graded color -red then black, it usually means the duckling/chick did not pip in time and the membrane is drying and pulling away from the egg. You can make a small exploratory hole in the shell over the air sac to see in. If that baby is alive, which is unlikely on day 35, it will move. If not, you can do an eggtopsy. Most likely you will find a fully formed, but dead, duckling. Hatching is hard work with a limited amount of time and many do not make it. It’s why they say not to count your chickens (or ducks) before they hatch. Sorry!
Thanks, very informative for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom