HELP, IS SEVEN DUST SAFE?

I think ashes and DE and other mild treatments are best for prevention. If you have an active outbreak of mites or lice you should treat with something stronger like Sevin5 or I think Eprinix would work, too. Sevin 5% effective, and there's no withdrawl time on the eggs. I've used it on all my birds before and the only thing that died were the bugs.

I have been using Permectrin dust. one can
is good for200 chickens and cost 5.95 at co-op
on the floor of the coop and in the nest boxes. and refresh every so often.with a handfull or two.

You can also use the Permethrin 10 Livestock and Premise Spray. You can get 8 ounces at TSC for $5.95. You dilute it in a spray bottle and apply to the chickens, coop, roosts, etc. Kills mites, lice, ticks, and alot more. I have some on raincheck.

Define "safe"! People have been using it as "flea powder" on dogs and to kill bugs on insects for many, many years (of course they used DDT etc. for many, many years also).

It is a powerful insecticide and also a poison so use it with caution etc. I wouldn't eat eggs the chickends produce or the chickens themselves for a while (see what the longest withdraw time is for veggies?).

I am no a big one for using chemicals, but sometimes folks get hyper-concerned. Bleach is a powerful poison, so is ammonia, laundry detergent, and many other things in our houses and lives.

Just be cautious and use common sense - some of the permetherin and pyretherin (spelling?) sprays are far less toxic to vertibrates (like chickens or people) and just as effective on lice/mites/fleas so you may want to check them out too.

Since I am new to the chicken raising world, when should you start worrying about lice, ticks, mites,etc..... My chicks are only 7 days old. Not to worried it right now.

...okay, different opinion here....I don't eat my dogs.  /img/smilies/tongue.png

I would never use it on something I eat or something that produces something I eat. 

Has anyone ever heard of using hardwood ash for dust baths...okay, COLD ASHES of course!!  I've read somewhere that it's good for pests.

I agree wood ashes in dust baths. You can rub it on them. Make sure to get it all the way to feather shafts. Also used as a preventive. No poison for you or them.

Since I am new to the chicken raising world, when should you start worrying about lice, ticks, mites,etc..... My chicks are only 7 days old. Not to worried it right now.

Offer wood ashes, put some in areas you see them dust bathing. Preventive. Spray coup with neem oil. Wettable sulfer in yard. Sulfur dust.

My Opinion. What I "ve learned.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom