Help! Is something wrong??

snkjohnson

Songster
10 Years
Jul 10, 2013
I've noticed lately that one of my hen's feathers are looking strange (just a patch on her back)...at first I thought maybe molting but they haven't changed in a while and she didn't lose many other feathers or anything. Also today as she was walking around the yard I noticed a bunch of white, crusty, 'stuff' around her bottom. I took pictures to give you a better idea. Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be going on with her? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance!!

The back damage looks like being overridden by a rooster. The diarrhea could be worms, bacteria, or another stressor. Since no rooster, look them over closely for lice or mites.

The back damage looks like being overridden by a rooster. The diarrhea could be worms, bacteria, or another stressor. Since no rooster, look them over closely for lice or mites.

x2 on external parasites.

Tonight, when the chickens go to roost, grab each one, flip her over, part the feathers around her vent, and shine a bright light deep into her..... delicate parts.

If you see white clumps of spheres covering the base of the feather, you've got mites/lice.

Chickens have been known to pull their own feathers out in frustration. It *could* be that, unless you have a wild rooster roaming around picking on your girls.

I'd grab some Sevin dust and dust their vent area and under each wing. Be sure and ruffle their feathers, so it goes all the way to the skin. Dust the birds, change the bedding in the coop, and dust that as well. Do this again in seven days, and AGAIN in seven days. Three treatments, three weeks. That *should* end your parasite problem.

As for worming, when is that last time you wormed your flock?

MrsB

Thank you! I will look them over tonight. Now I have a new worry...my kids were handling the chickens just last night right before they ate dinner...can mites or lice be transferred to them?!?!

Thank you! I will look them over tonight. Now I have a new worry...my kids were handling the chickens just last night right before they ate dinner...can mites or lice be transferred to them?!?!

No, no. These creepies are poultry-specific. :) As long as you wash your hands after handling the birds, everyone will be fine. ♡

MrsB

Well we were roasting hot dogs and s'mores and the kids were running back and forth from chickens to eating their food...yikes!!! Sounds like I don't have to worry, but...!?

Centers for Disease Control recommends always washing hands after handling poultry. They also recommend the same thing after handling dogs and cats.
Do as you will. I don't always follow the rules on washing but it's well known that the best way to ward off illness is to wash hands well and often.

Back
Top Bottom