Help, is this "bumble foot"?

Flock_off

Chirping
Sep 26, 2019
She walks but hop runs. Shes eating and drinking well and is bright, alert, responsive (BAR)
Not my friendliest chicken but since I began treating her this past tuesday shes tolerating my efforts a little better.
Today was day 3 of administering once every 24 hours:
.5ml penicillin IM
Warm foot soaks in diluted Nolvasan S solution.
Topical application of MicrocynAH.
Today I also picked up these products, lemme know if I should be using them how long and when in her treatment plan to impliment:
Bluekote wound dressing
Triodine-7
Nutri-drench (read it will help with antibiotic bio availability so I'm going to dose her 2ml orally beginning tomorrow) thinking maybe I should start with 1ml to avoid sudden diarrhea??

What I'm dealing with is a swollen center pad with no black area. A toe that is swollen, flat and very warm with black a area on the top, the tip of the toe where a nail USED to be and another black area on the bottom of same toe. The toe is also weirdly flat, not rounded. The back little toe (?) appears to be swollen with a black area too.
On her other foot she has a "normal" bumble foot situation, center of the foot pad a small black thickened area with some swelling. It's the flat big guy that scares me most though.
I've researched and it seems everyone advocates for lancing the toe to squeeze out infection, but... its flat lol.
So I dunno how to proceed.
I've got extensive surgical skills as well as some equipment scalpels, suture, forceps etc... that's not my issue.
My issue is... it's a chicken
I'm alone, no assistance.
It's a frikken chicken LOL
Dog. Cat. Fine but a chicken? Oy vey!
Questions:
Do these situations ever clear up with out lancing or cutting out the blackened area?
How many days should she be receiving the penicillin injections? (I've seen conflicting advice)
Is the benefit of Nolvasan sufficient or Epsom salts better?
Is it cancer or really bumble foot?
Nope no vets around me to get help from and the ones I do know dont know anything about chickens :/
I'm going to attempt posting pics now, they are from tuesday before I began any treatment.
The foot is a bit softer today but that's pretty much the only difference. I'll see if I can get new pics tomorrow to compare.
Any help, advice, tips, tricks will be greatly appreciated.
Just tryin' to give this birb a chance :)
Sorry if I "speak" weird but yeah, that's how I roll

Attachments

• 20190926_174556.jpg
    20190926_174556.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 00100lPOR.jpg
    00100lPOR.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 00100lPOR(1).jpg
    00100lPOR(1).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to BYC.
How old is this bird and how long have you had her?
Has her toe always been off?

Usually in order to cure an infection in the foot you will need to remove all of the pus before antibiotics with help.

Most of the swelling you see is probably pus.

Did her foot maybe get crushed by something falling on her/stepping on her?

Never seen this. Following along to see how she heals:caf

Good luck with your baby!
This is what I was thinking.
The one toe looks like it has been damaged.

@Flock_off The dark spots on the flat toe...are they scabs?
It is a little hard to tell in the photos.

Anything could have happened I suppose, she is missing the toe nail on that one flat toe. Its 40ish chickens in a 100ft ×30ft aviary with 3 coops.
I installed a human porch swing into their aviary I garbage picked and turned it into a chicken friendly swing/roosting/shade area and also added few different heighted tree stumps for them to bop around on.
I dont feel these are scabs as much as they are calluses but your right about the top one being baffling I'll scrutinize that one closer tomorrow and compare it to the others and post an update.

Anything could have happened I suppose, she is missing the toe nail on that one flat toe. Its 40ish chickens in a 100ft ×30ft aviary with 3 coops.
I installed a human porch swing into their aviary I garbage picked and turned it into a chicken friendly swing/roosting/shade area and also added few different heighted tree stumps for them to bop around on.
I dont feel these are scabs as much as they are calluses but your right about the top one being baffling I'll scrutinize that one closer tomorrow and compare it to the others and post an update.
See if you can remove one of those dark spots.

Back
Top Bottom