Help, is this "bumble foot"?

Flock_off

Chirping
Sep 26, 2019
She walks but hop runs. Shes eating and drinking well and is bright, alert, responsive (BAR)
Not my friendliest chicken but since I began treating her this past tuesday shes tolerating my efforts a little better.
Today was day 3 of administering once every 24 hours:
.5ml penicillin IM
Warm foot soaks in diluted Nolvasan S solution.
Topical application of MicrocynAH.
Today I also picked up these products, lemme know if I should be using them how long and when in her treatment plan to impliment:
Bluekote wound dressing
Triodine-7
Nutri-drench (read it will help with antibiotic bio availability so I'm going to dose her 2ml orally beginning tomorrow) thinking maybe I should start with 1ml to avoid sudden diarrhea??

What I'm dealing with is a swollen center pad with no black area. A toe that is swollen, flat and very warm with black a area on the top, the tip of the toe where a nail USED to be and another black area on the bottom of same toe. The toe is also weirdly flat, not rounded. The back little toe (?) appears to be swollen with a black area too.
On her other foot she has a "normal" bumble foot situation, center of the foot pad a small black thickened area with some swelling. It's the flat big guy that scares me most though.
I've researched and it seems everyone advocates for lancing the toe to squeeze out infection, but... its flat lol.
So I dunno how to proceed.
I've got extensive surgical skills as well as some equipment scalpels, suture, forceps etc... that's not my issue.
My issue is... it's a chicken
I'm alone, no assistance.
It's a frikken chicken LOL
Dog. Cat. Fine but a chicken? Oy vey!
Questions:
Do these situations ever clear up with out lancing or cutting out the blackened area?
How many days should she be receiving the penicillin injections? (I've seen conflicting advice)
Is the benefit of Nolvasan sufficient or Epsom salts better?
Is it cancer or really bumble foot?
Nope no vets around me to get help from and the ones I do know dont know anything about chickens :/
I'm going to attempt posting pics now, they are from tuesday before I began any treatment.
The foot is a bit softer today but that's pretty much the only difference. I'll see if I can get new pics tomorrow to compare.
Any help, advice, tips, tricks will be greatly appreciated.
Just tryin' to give this birb a chance :)
Sorry if I "speak" weird but yeah, that's how I roll

Attachments

• 20190926_174556.jpg
    20190926_174556.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 00100lPOR.jpg
    00100lPOR.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 00100lPOR(1).jpg
    00100lPOR(1).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 18
I posted these on another post..I have a sequence of photos that I took of one of my chickens ...First..I'm showing what I use...
Bumble Foot (2) (1).JPG
Bumble Foot (1).JPG
Soak the foot..
IMG_0438 (1).JPG
Placing s towel over the head to keep her calm...
IMG_0442_1 (1).JPG
IMG_0444 (1).JPG
This was a big one..
IMG_0445 (1).JPG
. Go slow .. don't go deep too fast..may not have to go deep..
IMG_0446 (1).JPG
This one I did..and wide..
IMG_0447 (1).JPG
. Putting a lot of Neosporin in there...
IMG_0448 (1).JPG
IMG_0449 (1).JPG
Put some gauze over it.. then wrap..
IMG_0451 (1).JPG
I like to put white tape over it.
IMG_0452 (1).JPG
Let her up, catch her surroundings after towel is off, put her out..she's curious, so are the others, but off eating grass in no time. :)
IMG_0456_1 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Warm foot soaks in diluted Nolvasan S solution.
Nutri-drench (read it will help with antibiotic bio availability so I'm going to dose her 2ml orally beginning tomorrow) thinking maybe I should start with 1ml to avoid sudden diarrhea??

What I'm dealing with is a swollen center pad with no black area. A toe that is swollen, flat and very warm with black a area on the top, the tip of the toe where a nail USED to be and another black area on the bottom of same toe. The toe is also weirdly flat, not rounded. The back little toe (?) appears to be swollen with a black area too.

How many days should she be receiving the penicillin injections?

Is the benefit of Nolvasan sufficient or Epsom salts better?
I would try the epsom salts to see if that helps - they may act as a drawing agent.
After soaking, apply triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap the foot. Keep her on clean dry bedding. Hopefully this will further soften up the scab so you can work on it. Repeat daily - it may take a few days.

To me, it looks like the bumble goes all the way through, hard to tell. No way to know what it's flat, so won't dwell on that.

Penicillin is given once a day for 3-5 days. Antibiotics alone will not clear up the bumblefoot, the scab and any core/pus would still need to be removed.

Poultry Nutri-Drench direct dose amount is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

upload_2019-9-26_22-37-51.png

I posted these on another post..I have a sequence of photos that I took of one of my chickens ...First..I'm showing what I use...View attachment 1918912 View attachment 1918913 Soak the foot..View attachment 1918914 Placing s towel over the head to keep her calm...View attachment 1918915 View attachment 1918916 This was a big one..View attachment 1918917. Go slow .. don't go deep too fast..may not have to go deep..View attachment 1918919 This one I did..and wide..View attachment 1918922. Putting a lot of Neosporin in there...View attachment 1918923 View attachment 1918924 Put some gauze over it.. then wrap.. View attachment 1918934 I like to put white tape over it. View attachment 1918935 Let her up, catch her surroundings after towel is off, put her out..she's curious, so are the others, but off eating grass in no time. :) View attachment 1918936

Awesome!! What is the size (in mm) of the biopsy punch? Will definitely order to be ready next time bumblefoot strikes.

Welcome to BYC.
How old is this bird and how long have you had her?
Has her toe always been off?

Usually in order to cure an infection in the foot you will need to remove all of the pus before antibiotics with help.

Most of the swelling you see is probably pus.

I changed the bandage every other day the first week. The second week it's looking so so much better. In fact, it's usually scabbed over pretty good by the end of the second week. I let them go without the bandage once I see a good scab. Then I will look at it and watch how the chicken is walking for a few days. I never had to do it twice on one. I think that's luck. I've heard of folks having to do it again down the road....Oh..I do use Epsom salt in the soak.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom