HELP!!! Is this Vent Gleet or something worse?

FinleyMcChicken

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what this is--I've bathed her twice and poor bum is red and bare under all the diarrhea. Looks like regular color diarrhea but today I see more of the white. I have ordered Corid and Nystatin just wondering what I do next here. Today she is visibly not well, comb is falling down and shes moving really slow.
IMG_6784.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg
IMG_6787.jpg

Since you do not know for sure what parasite you may be dealing with the dose for Safeguard for poultry is .23 ml per pound of bird weight (a digital kitchen scale works well) for 5 days in a row. You will need an oral syringe. Dosing on the bottle is for either horses or goats, depending on which Safeguard you are looking at. So a 5lb bird would get 1.25 ml (rounded) once a day for 5 days in a row. Give .5 ml at a time and let her swallow, until all is given. If using the liquid goat wormer, shake it up well before drawing the dose.

How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? Is she the only one with dirty vent feathers? Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, either water balloon like or very firm? Have you ever wormed or had a fecal done to check for internal parasites? How is her weight, is her keel well muscled or is the bone prominent?

A reproductive problem is possible at that age, but with the weight loss parasites could be an issue. If you have a vet that will run a fecal for you to check, that would be best. If not I would be inclined to worm her, either Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer, or Safeguard horse paste can be used for most parasites. I very much doubt it's coccidia at her age, the Corid is only effective against coccidia.

She's 2 or 3, I have no clue when she last laid. Another Comet has some dirty feathers, but no where near as dirty as her. Her Keel bone is prominent. I've never de-wormed them. I use ACV in their water and D-Earth in their dust bath. I ordered Corid from Tractor Supply and Nystatin Oral Suspension but I'm not sure it'll get here in time.

Back
Top Bottom