Help is this Wry neck?

dlschnars

Chirping
Apr 14, 2022
I have a 2 day old baby duckling, welsh harlequin. She has had a rough time now looks like she may have wry neck? Not sure. She fails around with her neck side to side and will only lay on her back. She cannot stand at all.
I have to hold her most of the time so she is upright. Started today with Vit E tablet and 1 supplement of BComplex ground up in water. Also made herb tea with thyme, sage, parsley, maybe oregano.
She has had 1 dropper of the tea, 1 dropper of ACV ( apple cuder vinegar) dilute solution, a little olive oil?, and half dropper of regular water. This has been 1 full day if that treatment. If i can keep her wrapped or enough pressure on her to stop moving long enough in her box to sleep..she just hatched Thursday morning early and we'll this is how she came out. What do I do? I have read it takes up to five days. She either sleeps , peeps or wiggles all over.. do i keep trying and hope my efforts work? give her up to water foul rescue? I can't leave her home daily nor bring to work.. HELP!! SHE SPINS LIKE A LITTLE TORNADO all over , can't stand. She lays upside down most timez on her head... or her head flails. OmG. Any advise wiuld be grateful. I'm stuck.... very concerned and helpless.. I made her a very loose neck brace so she doesn't hurt herself. Is she in pain? How do i know? She calms when I hold her and put her in a hold with pressure. Uuggh what do I now? She peeps if I out her down... thanks

I have a 2 day old baby duckling, welsh harlequin. She has had a rough time now looks like she may have wry neck? Not sure. She fails around with her neck side to side and will only lay on her back. She cannot stand at all.
I have to hold her most of the time so she is upright. Started today with Vit E tablet and 1 supplement of BComplex ground up in water. Also made herb tea with thyme, sage, parsley, maybe oregano.
She has had 1 dropper of the tea, 1 dropper of ACV ( apple cuder vinegar) dilute solution, a little olive oil?, and half dropper of regular water. This has been 1 full day if that treatment. If i can keep her wrapped or enough pressure on her to stop moving long enough in her box to sleep..she just hatched Thursday morning early and we'll this is how she came out. What do I do? I have read it takes up to five days. She either sleeps , peeps or wiggles all over.. do i keep trying and hope my efforts work? give her up to water foul rescue? I can't leave her home daily nor bring to work.. HELP!! SHE SPINS LIKE A LITTLE TORNADO all over , can't stand. She lays upside down most timez on her head... or her head flails. OmG. Any advise wiuld be grateful. I'm stuck.... very concerned and helpless.. I made her a very loose neck brace so she doesn't hurt herself. Is she in pain? How do i know? She calms when I hold her and put her in a hold with pressure. Uuggh what do I now? She peeps if I out her down... thanks. She won't eat yet but will take the dropper. I'm worried. I have the recipe foe help from this forum ready to go... I worry she won't walk.. why has this happened the rest of the eggs were all fine. We did have to help her part way out of her egg but she pushed her self out....

Attachments

• 20220415_050552.jpg
    20220415_050552.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220415_050531.jpg
    20220415_050531.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220414_214404.jpg
    20220414_214404.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220414_183238.jpg
    20220414_183238.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 6
She has had 1 dropper of the tea, 1 dropper of ACV ( apple cuder vinegar) dilute solution, a little olive oil?, and half dropper of regular water. This has been 1 full day if that treatment. If i can keep her wrapped or enough pressure on her to stop moving long enough in her box to sleep..she just hatched Thursday morning early and we'll this is how she came out. What do I do? I have read it takes up to five days. She either sleeps , peeps or wiggles all over.. do i keep trying and hope my efforts work? give her up to water foul rescue? I can't leave her home daily nor bring to work.. HELP!! SHE SPINS LIKE A LITTLE TORNADO all over , can't stand. She lays upside down most timez on her head... or her head flails. OmG. Any advise wiuld be grateful. I'm stuck.... very concerned and helpless.. I made her a very loose neck brace so she doesn't hurt herself. Is she in pain? How do i know? She calms when I hold her and put her in a hold with pressure. Uuggh what do I now? She peeps if I out her down... thanks. She won't eat yet but will take the dropper. I'm worried. I have the recipe foe help from this forum ready to go... I worry she won't walk.. why has this happened the rest of the eggs were all fine. We did have to help her part way out of her egg but she pushed her self out....

Attachments

• 110717.jpeg
    110717.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 7
Give the vitamins time to help, you might have to put her, swaddled, in a mug. You can take you to someplace who's able to give her more time since she need more care. A fowl rescue might only take wild birds though.

I'd like to know why you are giving her olive oil? treatment for wry is 400mg of Vit E prick the capsule and put tiny drops right inside her bill let her swallow then do again until entire contents is used. You can space it out over the day since she is just hatched she isn't going to be up to the whole capsule at once. Then for selenium scrambled egg once she is eating and either Poultry Nutri drench or liquid B complex both can be added to her egg. Most ducklings love scrambled egg and a very safe way to get selenium and the rest into them.
I don't know what causes wry neck or any other defects that happen but maybe temps were off where her egg laid?
If you can place her in a cup or bowl with a soft cloth wrapped around her to support her neck that should help with her flailing around. Place her also on a soft cloth inside the bowl. You want her in something that is going to keep her settled not to where she can flail around.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention.67732/

Last edited:
It very well could be wry neck. Treatment won't show instant results.

Lemme tag some more knowledgeable duck folks:

@Miss Lydia
@Isaac 0
@WVduckchick

Who am I forgetting?
I also forgot to mention her right eye stays closed alot but then again she does open it quite a bit.. but when trying to stand or walk she still falls over and spins . She is peeping alot. She isn't interested in food or water from a dish only water from the dropper right now.. and.ive done supplements for 2 days now. Yesterday gave a little egg yolk, herb water and the ACV water dilute.alongnwith regular water. Inhave to swaddle her to sleep or she gets all over she wiggled out of the mug suggestion....

Back
Top Bottom