HELP! Is this yolk from a broken egg?!

Chickmamajessica

Songster
Aug 1, 2021
My chicken hasn’t started laying eggs yet but I suspected her first one is coming out soon. She has been squatting and such but now she is very lethargic and I just checked her vent and it looks like some yolk is coming out. Is this yellow stuff yolk??

Attachments

• 74FA958E-A744-45CF-B5F1-8983C42055AA.jpeg
    74FA958E-A744-45CF-B5F1-8983C42055AA.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 13
It probably isn't yolk, but it appears to be a reproductive tract infection. Your reporting this pullet is lethargic adds weight to this guess.

Bacteria, often E-coli, can work its way up the oviduct from the vent and start an infection. Untreated, it can cause sterility and eventually death.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Perhaps an old prescription of a family member? Are you in the US?

It probably isn't yolk, but it appears to be a reproductive tract infection. Your reporting this pullet is lethargic adds weight to this guess.

Bacteria, often E-coli, can work its way up the oviduct from the vent and start an infection. Untreated, it can cause sterility and eventually death.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Perhaps an old prescription of a family member? Are you in the US?
I don’t have antibiotics, and am in the US. How would
I go about getting antibiotics for chickens? We usually avoid them and try to let our immune system
Fight whatever sickness comes our way.

Some bacterial infections will overwhelm even a very healthy immune system, and reproductive infections in poultry is one of these. If you catch it early and knock it down with a good broad spectrum antibiotic, there's a chance your pullet can go on to lay normally and have a normal life span.

Call around to you Tractor Supply stores and pet stores and ask for amoxicillin. It is often marketed for aquarium fish, and comes in 250mg and 500mg capsules. The dosage for a chicken is 250mg per day for ten days.

TSC often sells amoxycillin 500mg. If that's what you get, you will need to break the capsule open and divide it into two equal doses. I use a small bite of bread dipped in olive oil to sop up the amoxy powder. It's very bitter, and to get the pullet to take the bread with the med repeatedly, sprinkle some sugar on it to counter the bitter taste.

Some bacterial infections will overwhelm even a very healthy immune system, and reproductive infections in poultry is one of these. If you catch it early and knock it down with a good broad spectrum antibiotic, there's a chance your pullet can go on to lay normally and have a normal life span.

Call around to you Tractor Supply stores and pet stores and ask for amoxicillin. It is often marketed for aquarium fish, and comes in 250mg and 500mg capsules. The dosage for a chicken is 250mg per day for ten days.

TSC often sells amoxycillin 500mg. If that's what you get, you will need to break the capsule open and divide it into two equal doses. I use a small bite of bread dipped in olive oil to sop up the amoxy powder. It's very bitter, and to get the pullet to take the bread with the med repeatedly, sprinkle some sugar on it to counter the bitter taste.
Thank you! That’s very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom