Help I've lost 4 chickens in 2 days all dying face down!!!

gringopow

Hatching
Dec 25, 2015
Hey I have a small flock of 11 hens 1 roo. Yesterday I went to feed them and 2 where lying dead on there bellies with there head tucked under them. 2 more today! Im freaking out. I dont see any thing about this on the forums can any one please help.

Some basic info so far ive lost 1 astrolourpe 1 buff and 2 speckeled susex.
They have constant fresh water I feed them crumble oyster shell and the get to graze the yard once a day. They show no symptoms of sickness. Just dropping one day to the next.All in the position i mentioned. they sleep in a 10X6 coop off the ground and their pen is 30x40 feet all of them are about 1 year old. And they have had no problems laying. Thanks for your help.

Refrigerate the bodies in plastic bags,and send or take one to your state vet for a necropsy to find a cause of death. Check your feed for mold (color and strange odor.) Look around your yard and coop for any signs of dead animals or fish in case of botulism. Check with neighbors in case they have used rat poison or other chemicals. So sorry for your loss. Here are links to read about botulism and for your state vet:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism/
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Thanks I will look for a vet. The first thing i thought was poison. I have checked everywhere. no signs of dead animal besides of course my poor chickens.

I would probably get new feed just in case tomorrow. Have you done anything to your water lines that water your chickens lately? Do neighbors have access to your chickens? Do yours range over very much land? Lead poisoning can be a problem from old lead shot in the ground, or paint chips, but not as like to kill so many in a few days. Botulism, moldy feed, or some sudden virus would be my first suspicion. What state or country are you located?

If there are no injuries, I'd suspect illness or disease. If you do the necropsy, please post the results.

They range over a half acre. I have lost 1 more since post. I unfortunately have had to wait for $ to get necropsy. I have changed the food. and I am in south florida.

It was botulism, a terrible ordeal. Apparently there was a opossum bringing old meat into a bush that the chickens have access to. Learned my lesson the bush is gone and so is the opossum. Thanks for all of your help.

They all had it. I saved them by flushing salt water down their throats. it really worked with the few I could catch in time. Does anyone know how long I have to wait before the eggs are safe to eat again.

Back
Top Bottom