Help Keeping Water From Freezing!

HannahL

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
Hi all. So I live in New England so I always have issues with water freezing over in the wintertime. I have three waterers (one in the coop, one in the pen, and one for the rooster) so dethawing all three multiple times a day is a to Does anyone have any tips on how to keep water thawed? I’ve used the heated water bowls before but they get filthy. I can’t find an hanging waterer that is heated ANYWHERE. I saw some people suggest fish tank heaters but then I read that they can be finicky and dangerous. I saw other people recommended bird bath heaters. Anyone have any experience with those? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi all. So I live in New England so I always have issues with water freezing over in the wintertime. I have three waterers (one in the coop, one in the pen, and one for the rooster) so dethawing all three multiple times a day is a to Does anyone have any tips on how to keep water thawed? I’ve used the heated water bowls before but they get filthy. I can’t find an hanging waterer that is heated ANYWHERE. I saw some people suggest fish tank heaters but then I read that they can be finicky and dangerous. I saw other people recommended bird bath heaters. Anyone have any experience with those? Thanks in advance for any replies!
I used this last year with a thermostatically controlled bird bath de-icer in it.
1608147735348.png

The model de-icer I chose was for direct contact. I just made sure the unit was always covered with water. It worked great until this fall when one of the nipples decided to start leaking after I cleaned it. I got the horizontal nipples from Amzn.

Do you have electricity in your coop?

I used this last year with a thermostatically controlled bird bath de-icer in it.
View attachment 2451880

The model de-icer I chose was for direct contact. I just made sure the unit was always covered with water. It worked great until this fall when one of the nipples decided to start leaking after I cleaned it. I got the horizontal nipples from Amzn.
Where can I get the de-icer from. I’m using an electric dog bowl but it’s not enough water for the ducks. Thanks

Several makes of hanging heated waterers are available on Amazon ($60-$80) and, in my experience, feed stores usually carry them as well. The only hanging ones that I have seen are plastic although metal ones are available that sit on top of a separate heater base; these do not hang but placing them on something that raises them 6-8" off the floor usually eliminates the debris that the chickens kick in if they sit on the floor.

I’ve used the heated water bowls before but they get filthy.

Any open waterer I've used has gotten dirty or slimy or stuff kicked into it. My cockerel can't seem to figure out HNs, plus, as you said, they freeze too.

So I'm trying the heated dog bowl with a few changes. First, it's up on some bricks. Second, I put one of those black heavy rubber bowls inside of it. There's water in the heated bowl, and a couple layers of canning jar rings to boost the level of the rubber bowl up. I fill up the rubber bowl in the morning, and then dump it out and bring it in the house at lockup. A quick rinse/scrub and it's ready to go in the morning.

The water is out in the run only. I don't have electric in the coop/run; just a heavy duty extension cord, and I unplug everything at night.

Any open waterer I've used has gotten dirty or slimy or stuff kicked into it. My cockerel can't seem to figure out HNs, plus, as you said, they freeze too.

So I'm trying the heated dog bowl with a few changes. First, it's up on some bricks. Second, I put one of those black heavy rubber bowls inside of it. There's water in the heated bowl, and a couple layers of canning jar rings to boost the level of the rubber bowl up. I fill up the rubber bowl in the morning, and then dump it out and bring it in the house at lockup. A quick rinse/scrub and it's ready to go in the morning.

The water is out in the run only. I don't have electric in the coop/run; just a heavy duty extension cord, and I unplug everything at night.
I thought about putting a bigger bowl inside the dog bowl but it’s not that big

No, but I can run an extension line from the coop into my garage.
You can buy a base heater. I use Arizona Ice Tea jugs on it. I keep outside. The Tea jugs won't melt. They thing I don't like about heated dog bowls is they use too much water. I have them up on boards about 4-6 high but the birds still manage to get them dirty. I empty them every other day and add water. I keep a jug ( capped) in the coop and can tell if it's cold in there overnight. Last night was below 0 and the jug was not frozen this morning.

Back
Top Bottom