help!! ladies not laying in nesting boxes anymore.

heath10ladies

Hatching
Nov 28, 2022
Rochester, MN
hi all! I have 10 ladies who were laying awesome in the nesting boxes everyday and now they are laying in odd places of the coop. We had recently gotten a rooster, but our 4 month old puppy killed it after 5 or so days. would the death of the rooster cause my ladies to lay like this?

Any adverse event can put hens off laying. If they saw the death of the rooster, and if the dog is still a menace and hanging around the coop upsetting the hens, then they are all going to be nervous wrecks because they understand, being prey animals, that they could be the next victims.

Dogs, unless carefully trained to protect chickens rather than killing and eating them, don't enhance the lives of chickens.

Any adverse event can put hens off laying. If they saw the death of the rooster, and if the dog is still a menace and hanging around the coop upsetting the hens, then they are all going to be nervous wrecks because they understand, being prey animals, that they could be the next victims.

Dogs, unless carefully trained to protect chickens rather than killing and eating them, don't enhance the lives of chickens.
I knew it. we have the dog chained up so they don't see him anymore. but ugh I'm so upset. thank you for the reply

Back
Top Bottom