HELP!!! Late hatching quail eggs!!

Pile of babies.jpg

Here's an earlier hatch from a little while ago that I've previously uploaded, so I can use my phone to add it. We've had to get a new computer and hubby hasn't quite got round to putting all my photos from the external drive onto the new one, so I'd better not download my camera until that's all sorted.

They are adorably tiny but they are wild little things. The coturnix are generally much cuddlier, especially in that first week when they want to snuggle up into your hand as if you were their mother.

View attachment 1155953

Here's an earlier hatch from a little while ago that I've previously uploaded, so I can use my phone to add it. We've had to get a new computer and hubby hasn't quite got round to putting all my photos from the external drive onto the new one, so I'd better not download my camera until that's all sorted.

They are adorably tiny but they are wild little things. The coturnix are generally much cuddlier, especially in that first week when they want to snuggle up into your hand as if you were their mother.

They're so cute!!! Don't worry about posting photos if you cant this one is enough!

No progress yet...hopefully at least one will start to pip today!!

I had to help my egg that had pipped. Another pipped and hatched but the first one wasn't doing anything. It was ready to come out but there was a little unabsorbed yolk. I left it in the incubator overnight and it looks ok this morning except one of its feet looks curled up. Hopefully it'll straighten on it's own. I always help chicks if I feel they need it. I figure they deserve a chance and that it's most likely due to something that happened during incubation that caused a problem which wouldn't have happened if they'd been incubated naturally.

I've never tried it with coturnix but the buttons really like a mirror. I had one hatch early last batch so gave it a mirror for company until some friends hatched. I tried to take the mirror away once it had some friends. You should've heard the complaining! So I had to give it back!

I had to help my egg that had pipped. Another pipped and hatched but the first one wasn't doing anything. It was ready to come out but there was a little unabsorbed yolk. I left it in the incubator overnight and it looks ok this morning except one of its feet looks curled up. Hopefully it'll straighten on it's own. I always help chicks if I feel they need it. I figure they deserve a chance and that it's most likely due to something that happened during incubation that caused a problem which wouldn't have happened if they'd been incubated naturally.

I've never tried it with coturnix but the buttons really like a mirror. I had one hatch early last batch so gave it a mirror for company until some friends hatched. I tried to take the mirror away once it had some friends. You should've heard the complaining! So I had to give it back!

So glad they hatched!!! I've never heard of quail enjoying mirrors, but I'll try it out when they hatch!!

I just float tested them to be sure and there were a couple that were floating with the air cell sideways. The remaining egg floated with its air cell straight.

Is there anything wrong with the eggs?

The ones that were sideways may have pipped internally. If they are working on breaking out you should be able to hear them tapping if you hold them fat end up to your ear.

The ones that were sideways may have pipped internally. If they are working on breaking out you should be able to hear them tapping if you hold them fat end up to your ear.

Would it be too dangerous to float them again just to make sure I was correct?

Would it be too dangerous to float them again just to make sure I was correct?

I think I'll just wait and be patient (it's pretty difficult) because I have been opening the incubator way too much to check on them and i have a feeling if i open it anymore ill kill the chicks (hopefully theyre still alive).

Back
Top Bottom