Help learning about the age of laying hens with time of year.

Melabella

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have 10, well actually I think 9 girls that hatched and I ordered from Meyer on 7/23. I am discovering that one of my Columbian Wyandotte's is a roo, but that's another story. I have 5 different breeds. The other 4 are RIR, Black Austrolorps, Golden Buff and Barred Rock. They are currently in their 7Th week. After reading a lot of posts on this website, I understand eggs can start coming any time starting after 20 weeks, a bit more depending on the breed.

My question is, since I got my day olds in July, and 20 weeks would be the first week in December, will I really see any eggs throughout the winter? Some of the breeds I picked due to the fact they were advertised as "hearty cold weather" and "winter egg layers". I was at back to school last night, and during the refreshment break starting chatting with an experienced chicken owner who informed me due to the decrease in daylight, I won't see eggs until the spring. Is this true? I have read that February through June is the heaviest egg producing months, but is it true that I won't see any until then? I don't mind not having all 9 lay every other day, but a couple of eggs a week from each one would be nice.

Can anyone help a complete neophyte out with this, thanks!
I live in Hudson Valley area of NY, 90 miles north of NYC.

MB

Hello everyone,

I have 10, well actually I think 9 girls that hatched and I ordered from Meyer on 7/23.  I am discovering that one of my Columbian Wyandotte's is a roo, but that's another story.  I have 5 different breeds.  The other 4 are RIR, Black Austrolorps, Golden Buff and Barred Rock.    They are currently in their 7Th week.  After reading a lot of posts on this website, I understand eggs can start coming any time starting after 20 weeks, a bit more depending on the breed.

My question is, since I got my day olds in July, and 20 weeks would be the first week in December, will I really see any eggs throughout the winter?  Some of the breeds I picked due to the fact they were advertised as "hearty cold weather" and "winter egg layers".  I was at back to school last night, and during the refreshment break starting chatting with an experienced chicken owner who informed me due to the decrease in daylight, I won't see eggs until the spring.  Is this true?  I have read that February through June is the heaviest egg producing months, but is it true that I won't see any until then?  I don't mind not having all 9 lay every other day, but  a couple of eggs a week from each one would be nice.

Can anyone help a complete neophyte out with this, thanks!
I live in Hudson Valley area of NY, 90 miles north of NYC.

MB
You will see eggs this winter. Many of my last year layers started in January. I think I had maybe 9 that started that month. Pullets in their first year are not affected as much by the # of hours a day of light.

Your barred rocks and RIRs should definitely start (mine did). My buff orp also started (December). Your climate is right around the same as my own. I am in South Eastern New Brunswick (Canada).

AOXA,

Thanks for the information. Whew, I was worried! I will be happy with a few, what ever they give me, just didn't want to have to wait all the way until spring. Now I know why so many people die for chicks early spring, rather than mid summer when I did it! I love my girls, and are going to be so happy when they eggs start rolling in!

Thank you Happy too for the reply,
You are all so helpful! Thank Goodness for BYC!

MB

AOXA,

Thanks for the information.  Whew, I was worried!  I will be happy with a few, what ever they give me, just didn't want to have to wait all the way until spring.  Now I know why so many people die for chicks early spring, rather than mid summer when I did it!  I love my girls, and are going to be so happy when they eggs start rolling in!

Thank you Happy too for the reply,
You are all so helpful!  Thank Goodness for BYC!

MB
No problem! Just pretend like you don't care. The chickens will pick up on it and hide their eggs (or never lay) ;)

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom