HELP! Lethargic chicken, possible egg binding!

Oyster shells or crushed eggshells(or both,which is what i give)should be accessible at all times of day,everyday. Do not keep her off water,if crop is empty then it is not impacted. What does her poop look like? Have you introduced new birds or is she a new addition?

After some research I did come across impacted crops. I've now fully emptied the crop - the contents were smelly but not revolting - so i've ruled out sour crop. Without the fluid the crop is now very small, when I massage it I can feel some gritty bits inside but nothing that feel's like a ball of food. I do feed her small amounts of oyster shell as she only free ranges 1-2 hrs a day.

I read that white maggots were good for impacted crops, I was planning on getting her some probiotic yoghurt too. However she has no appetite. About 10 minutes after emptying the fluid from her crop she has drank about 100ml of water. I don't want to keep her off the water and let her become dehydrated, but i dont want to put her through the crop emptying again!
Are you providing grit or just oyster shells? Grit has to be available at all times to help digest feed.

She's been inside for about 2 hours now , she hasn't pooped at all. It's been around 20degrees the last couple of days, hitting highs of around 28 degrees. The other chickens are fine and my sick chicken is by far the hardiest. I mix oyster shell in with her feed - i thought this was an alternative to grit. She does free range 2 hours a day and i thought this would be enough time for her to find grit etc?

She's been inside for about 2 hours now , she hasn't pooped at all. It's been around 20degrees the last couple of days, hitting highs of around 28 degrees. The other chickens are fine and my sick chicken is by far the hardiest. I mix oyster shell in with her feed - i thought this was an alternative to grit. She does free range 2 hours a day and i thought this would be enough time for her to find grit etc?
No they need grit available at all times,oyster shells/crushed eggshells should be provided daily also,place in a container and leave in run(grit and oyster shells/crushed eggshells)birds will eat what they need,two hours is not enough time .

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that, i'll put some in their run. It's definitely not an impacted crop though. Her crop is full again but it's entirely water. She seems to have perked up a little.. she's drinking fine. But she still isn't mobile.

Back
Top Bottom