Help! Lethargic Chicken!

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
One of my sister's hen, Celestia, is acting a bit lethargic and is also limping so I brought her inside. She seemed to be having heat stress from the heat of the day so I brought her inside. She ate a couple of frozen blueberries that I gave her and I had her drink a couple of drops of unflavored Pedialyte. I checked the bottom of her feet thoroughly and she has no injuries or anything. I gave her a bath with warm water and Lavender Epsom Salt to help soothe her body. I will put Hen Healer on her foot and leg to help sooth whatever may be ailing her down there. I sat down with her and she wanted to sit on my lap. I blow dryed her and she is mostly dry right now. I wrapped her in a soft blanket nest and as of now, she is resting and dozing in there. Her tail is down and she has that lethargic stance. Is she just recovering from heat stress or is it something more serious, like internal? She has always been a calm sweet chicken but I can tell that something is wrong. Thank y'all for any advice and responses! 💚

You’re right, it sounds like heat stress, but I don’t know what could be causing her limping. First- have you gotten a heat wave recently? Make sure your chickens have plenty of shade and water. Preferably a place to dust bathe as well.
Second- do you possibly have any tall roosts or even trees? Chickens can sometimes fly down from those and tweak their legs.
Good luck!

You’re right, it sounds like heat stress, but I don’t know what could be causing her limping. First- have you gotten a heat wave recently? Make sure your chickens have plenty of shade and water. Preferably a place to dust bathe as well.
Second- do you possibly have any tall roosts or even trees? Chickens can sometimes fly down from those and tweak their legs.
Good luck!
Yes, I have high roosts in the coop. That was probably it. She is doing much better, still acting a bit low-down but she is feeling great! Yes, my chicken coop is under a tree with shade. I also put my hose in the coop on mist mode and a rubber bucket of cool water for them to dip their feet in. Also gave them frozen blueberries. She and my flock are also recovering from Coccidiosis, so that was probably not helping her with the heat stress. Thank you so much for the response and advice!!! :hugs 💚

Back
Top Bottom