[HELP] Lice on pullet's head and neck

sus9441

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
This is the first time I had encountered lice infesting on all 10 of my chicken's head. They are still young, around 9 weeks old and a few days ago, I just moved them to a brand new coop. Is there any approach to this?- especially for the head because it's pretty hard to clean as I'm afraid that things might go inside its eye.

The lice looks something like this:

The pic I'd taken:

UGH! Permethrin is effective, and approved for use in poultry. Dust the coop too. Ivermectin is easy to apply topically, and much less messy than trying to dust each bird (WEAR A N95 FACE MASK!). Repeat in about two weeks. Mary

You could try spraying them (neck, under wings and vent area) with unrefined coconut oil. I can't find the thread where I found this idea originally, but I know there are some on here that swear by it. You can buy it at more health food stores and grocery stores. Just know that it is solid if less than 70 degrees so you will have to heat it above that long enough to keep it liquid to spray onto your chickens. You will want to treat them all and make sure to re-treat them 3 days later. Good luck!

Great, thanks.

Just another question regarding the pests, would garlic spray work?

Back
Top Bottom