HELP!! Little black flies on my rooster's head???

lifthiminsong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Yesterday I noticed my rooster shaking his head, trying to scratch it. While I couldn't see anything, it was obvious there was something there, pestering him.
He's not fond of being messed with, so I am rarely able to get close enough to touch or examine him without a fight...something I avoid if possible.
smile.png
However, this morning I was able to be close enough to him to definitely see little black flies (2-3x the size of gnats) swarming his head, landing around his ears and comb, and apparently attempting to "burrow" into crevices.
Anyone know what they are, and how to rid him of these little pests?
They do not seem to be attracted to my 11 hens....thank God!

Thank you, but these little pests definitely have wings, and everything I've read tells me that mites and lice do not.

I have had to treat the flock for lice this past month.

lifthiminsong: Where do you live? Here in NH the black flies are already out, but they are swarming all over, and you would be aware of them long before seeing them on the bird. Can you get a picture?

I Recently Learned that Lavender May Help.
I'll Mix It With Water And Spray The Area.

I Have Mixed Other Essential Oils (Citronella, Peppermint, Lemongrass) With Water And Sprayed The BIrds, And It Did SeEm To Help Some.

lifthiminsong:  Where do you live?  Here in NH the black flies are already out, but they are swarming all over, and you would be aware of them long before seeing them on the bird.  Can you get a picture?

I Live In Little Rock, And They Are Buffalo Gnats. Pesky Little Pains!

Back
Top Bottom