I suggest using Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer.
I believe the dosage for that is 0.23ml per lb of body weight given orally 5 days in a row. I'd like @Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive , or @azygous to confirm that though.
Dosage does depend on the type of worms, the dosage I gave you should treat most worms I believe.
Yes, that is the correct dosage of SafeGuard that treats most worms in chickens, except more rare tapeworms, which are treated with praziquantel. Valbazen is also a good wormer that treats most worms 1/2 ml given orally. Repeat in 10-14 days.

Hi. I have a flock of 10 chickens. Some are close to 4 yrs old. I lost a hen a few months ago and we still don’t know the reason. She had a pasty dirty bottom, walked sort of bow legged, seemed lethargic. Was drinking and eating fine. I treated her for vent gleet, cleaned her bottom, etc. she wasn’t egg bound. This went on for a good month.
She seemed to get better and then went downhill. Before she passed she started acting like she was opening her beak wide and stretching her neck. We thought maybe her crop was full or clogged. My husband went to help her by massaging her crop area. She literally started gasping, went in circles and then just died.
Now fast forward months later and I have two hens that are now acting the same way! No mouth opening or stretching their necks, bit dirty bottoms, walking weird and sitting alot, and acting lethargic. One is eating, the other has no interest. Also no egg laying. ANY ideas?! I will add there is no eye or nose discharge or respiratory signs. Can it be internal or external parasites? We looked at their feathers and not seeing anything and we haven't seen any physical signs of worms. But I will look again.
I agree with @Tookie it sounds like a reproductive problem, but deworming would be a good idea.
Look them over for lice/mites while you are at it.

I agree with @Tookie it sounds like a reproductive problem, but deworming would be a good idea.
Look them over for lice/mites while you are at it.
Okay, thanks! When you guys say ‘reproductive issue’ what exactly does that entail? And all 3 of my chickens could have the same issue at the same time? I’m just trying to narrow things down after I deworm and de-bug them and those don’t work

Okay, thanks! When you guys say ‘reproductive issue’ what exactly does that entail?
Issues with the reproductive track, some examples are salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis.
And all 3 of my chickens could have the same issue at the same time? I’m just trying to narrow things down after I deworm and de-bug them and those don’t work
I mean, all 3 could have the same thing, but in my opinion I think it's unlikely they're the exact same issues.

Okay, thanks! When you guys say ‘reproductive issue’ what exactly does that entail? And all 3 of my chickens could have the same issue at the same time? I’m just trying to narrow things down after I deworm and de-bug them and those don’t work
If they are similar in age and breed, then yes...it's possible they can be having similar issues within a few months of each other.

I understand, reproductive issues is a broad statement - these include - poor quality eggs/shells, cancer, peritonitis, salpingitis, internal laying....quite a few names to list but hard to give it a name unless you lose one and necropsy is performed.

The membrane hanging out - it's a reproductive problem - so hopefully the extra calcium will help her expel any material that may be in the system and firm up future eggs.

Worms can also affect overall health and production. You could call your vet and see if they will run a fecal float for you to help rule out worms as part of the problem.

Hi. I have a flock of 10 chickens. Some are close to 4 yrs old. I lost a hen a few months ago and we still don’t know the reason. She had a pasty dirty bottom, walked sort of bow legged, seemed lethargic. Was drinking and eating fine. I treated her for vent gleet, cleaned her bottom, etc. she wasn’t egg bound. This went on for a good month.
She seemed to get better and then went downhill. Before she passed she started acting like she was opening her beak wide and stretching her neck. We thought maybe her crop was full or clogged. My husband went to help her by massaging her crop area. She literally started gasping, went in circles and then just died.
Now fast forward months later and I have two hens that are now acting the same way! No mouth opening or stretching their necks, bit dirty bottoms, walking weird and sitting alot, and acting lethargic. One is eating, the other has no interest. Also no egg laying. ANY ideas?! I will add there is no eye or nose discharge or respiratory signs. Can it be internal or external parasites? We looked at their feathers and not seeing anything and we haven't seen any physical signs of worms. But I will look again.
Check if they have mareks ( I think it’s called) or fly bite. My neighbors two hens had mareks which can travel 5 miles airborne virus and not long after three of my hens died. Not sure if my last hen will die too but being alone she may as our weather is turning. I think maybe they got mareks which decreased their immune system and one got fly bite. I tried everything but could not save them.

Cont. I also have new neighbors that spray trees constantly and that could be what initially decreased their immune system.

Back
Top Bottom