Help, lost two chickens

Fernanees

Hatching
Jul 23, 2018
I was watching three of my aunt's hens. They really aren't familiar with me. Also, they are contained in a small area probably because predators have been spotted in the area. They are let out every now and then, but always return when clapping or whistling.

I went to go feed them and two of them walked out of the area. I went to go get them, but they darted off into the woods. I went after them until I lost sight of them. My siblings and dad came up to help search for them. We clapped, whistled, and shook some food. We went off of one clue footsteps that appeared to be the chickens but came to a conclusion that they went near a highway or a meadow near by. My dad called off the search for them for about twenty or so minutes after starting the search. He left out food for them near the cop but that's all.

I'm worried sick right now. I don't know if they'll be returning due to how likely it is a predator may of gotten them. Is there any possible chance of them returning, or what might help them come back?

I've had something like this happen before. Two of my chickens escaped and we had all kinds of predators around, including several loose dogs. They somehow survived and returned 3 days later unscathed.

Your chickens may return to the coop on their own, but I would keep searching for them before it gets dark and predators are more likely to show up. Try leaving some food closer to where they ran off. You can go out every hour or so and call them again. If you're familiar with your neighbors, let them know about the two missing hens. Good luck, I hope you find them.

Back
Top Bottom