Help loud alarms at 2:30 am

Vintagedoll

Hatching
Nov 25, 2020
So I know they are alarming at either an owl, rat or ferrel cat.
We have two big dogs that don’t have access to them on the same side yard. We also have two cats and neighbors on all ends (very closely unfortunately) but they all too have cats and very good about all getting along and keeping watch. Well the chickens have been alarming between 2:30-3:30 every morning now. I even set an alarm to keep watch. No luck but they still alarm. I do know their alarm versus laying alarm. I have also read to use a black out box so they don’t have an eye to access the alarm or know to lay in those hours. We use a heat lamp that they enjoy in these cold desert freezing winters. Any advice. Sorry typing this very tired. 😓 Sadly I do not know their breeds I’m sorry. We have three. Living in a small Navy town city in Ca, the mojave desert on the way to bishop.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 18
How cold does it get there? I have a heat lamp ready to be plugged in for those -30F weeks. Otherwise, they are just fine with the cold.
When does the heat lamp come on?
Could they be alarming to tell you they are too warm?

We use a heat lamp that they enjoy in these cold desert freezing winters

I live in the mountains in California, 5500 ft above sea level and we get freezing temps and snow. No heat and the coop is basically wide open on one side. I would re think the heat lamps for a couple of reasons. First they are a huge fire risk, that and if the chickens are not acclimated to the cold and the electricity goes out they could die. And bonus reason number 3 is the cost of heating is not necessary anywhere in Ca.

Also the light is no doubt keeping them up at night, therefore more aware of their surroundings and more likely to make a ruckus if they see something moving around out there.

:welcome :frow If you have a game camera, put it up then you will find out what is lurking to cause the birds to sound the alarm. I do have night lights on in my coops 24/7/365. They are 1 watt LED's. Not bright. I also have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has got past the hot wires. I agree that you don't need heat in the coop. Good luck...

Once you find out what is lurking then you can make a plan on how to deal with it. Again, good luck...

I agree with removing the light and heat lamp all together. They will be fine even in -20f temps and below for a few days at least. A light and heat will only lure predators to them. Also they should be locked in their henhouse at night and not viewable through mesh wire.

I agree with removing the light and heat lamp all together. They will be fine even in -20f temps and below for a few days at least. A light and heat will only lure predators to them. Also they should be locked in their henhouse at night and not viewable through mesh wire.
From the picture it appears there is a tarp that may go over the open wire part but opened enough to take the picture.

Back
Top Bottom