HELP !low temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macnugget, Apr 14, 2008.

1. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Today we found the incubator door had been off since the last time the eggs were turner so at least 12hrs the temp was in the mid 70's. Do you think the chicks have a chance or is it a dead deal.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] I'm sure someone who knows more than me will get on here and tell you more than I can. But I can tell you I had a power outage for 12 hours with temps below that and I was told it just slowed them down and they came 2 days late. How long have they been in? Hope this helps. Keep the faith. [​IMG]

3. macnugget

day 14 today

4. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I too had a power outage for over 12 hours, so there was really no heat except warm air in the house. They came two days late, but they came [​IMG]

5. macnugget

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If the temp was that low for 12 hours, I wouldn't count on anything hatching. Sorry. [​IMG]

7. macnugget

well at least the bator was on and i have a side door so some of the heat stayed in, well we will see next week

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Don't give up hope...I'd keep the hatch going....

9. macnugget

Well I got to say that we are very Happy We hatched 5 chicks so far today 3 more that haven't piped yet but we got our fingers crossed for tomorrow when class starts again. I will be updating our class website sometime this evening. I got some video footage of our 1st chick making the entrance into our world and exiting the confines of the egg.[​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks Nick

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    thats great. It makes me feel better I cant keep my bator at a steady temp to save my life...Good luck with your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by