Help! Male quail with head and eye injuries

BloomMSC

Hatching
Feb 17, 2021
I have 3 female quail in with one male and when trying to breed one of the aggressive females attacked him, I put him away from her and dabbed his wounds with some warm water to rinse the wounds but what can I buy or put on his eye and head to help him heal and stay clean from infections?

Not sure how severe the injuries are but here’s what I do when my quails get head and/or eye injuries:
  1. rinse out the wound with saline solution (the stuff you use to disinfect and clean soft contact lenses) and then dab it dry with a paper towel
  2. spray an antimicrobial spray to clean the wound. I use Veteriycn Plus Wound and Skin Care Spray.
  3. spray Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Wound & Skin Hydrogel Pet Spray on the wound (this is to protect the wound and keep it moisturized).
  4. Repeat the process as necessary. I usually just repeat step 3 (spraying the Vetericyn Hydrogel) about 3 times a day until the wound is closed and healed.
Alternatively, if the head injury is not so severe, you could put some antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) on the wound after it is thoroughly cleaned.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom