Help! Mallard Mishap

Waddles24

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
American Canyon, CA
Hello,

I'm a new mallard owner- I have two who are roughly 1.5 months. I accidentally dropped Howard, one of my babies, during a routine cage cleaning, roughly 5 feet. He fell on tile. I noticed a limp while he was playing with his brother, Quentin, outside. I'm freaking out and don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Give him two or three bath therapy sessions a day to get weight off the legs.

Keep observing him.

I would put poultry vitamins in their water twice a week for a healing boost.

If you are into herbs, comfrey compress or salve on the legs and feet may help the healing (topical, not to be eaten).

Please keep us informed.

hugs.gif

Thank you for the tips! He's taking his second warm bath today and is moving his leg easily while swimming. When he's out walking, however, I notice he holds his leg up and stands on the "good one." He can't move too comfortably for too long on the injured leg so hobbles about.

Should I take him to the vet for a check? Wait it out a bit and monitor? I don't want to be inhumane or for him to suffer in any way. He doesn't cheep or quack when I touch the leg or bend it.

Thanks for the good vibes and advice!

hit.gif

If you can have a vet look at him, I would do so. I realize it's not always affordable, and sometimes there are vets who seem even a bit callous.

So, if you have a decent vet and can use that service, I would go for an opinion.

And keep doing what you are doing! Let him know how much you care, and I think that will help him, too.

Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom