mews

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
Hello all, I was hoping to find someone who could help me understand what's going on with my Mallard duck egg, as it has yet to hatch and I noticed it some new changes today.

To start off, I had gotten this egg a while ago (about roughly two weeks ago) after finding that my mallards had been hiding their eggs. I have a rough estimate that this baby could be entering days 26 to 28.

Roughly 4 days ago, I was candling the egg to record its progress and accidently made a "indent" in the egg. I proceeded to quickly melt an unscented white candle and thinly layer it on the dented areas.

Last night, I was able to feel the chick move, causing the egg to shake in my hand. But today, I noticed that there are internal holes in the shell of the egg, not on the out (could I have put too much wax?).

I'm growing nervous, as I don't know what these holes could mean, and noticed my active little baby is completely still (possibly resting, there's times where he/she are wide awake and you can see the heart beat, then worrying times where they are asleep (which is where I worry the most)).

I'm sharing these pictures in hopes to get some advice. As I'm new to hatching and am desperate for advice. This is my only duckling left, and though I'm aware that its not a full guarantee hatching, I'd like to do my best for this little one. Thank you.
20230410_181927.jpg
20230410_182033.jpg

How much of the are is covered in wax? Those spots could be ports areas in the shell.
Not much of the area at all! But I noticed that where the wax and dent is, is where those three spots are. These holes have not been around until later this evening, as I had just returned from my college course.

Not much of the area at all! But I noticed that where the wax and dent is, is where those three spots are. These holes have not been around until later this evening, as I had just returned from my college course.
It shouldn't hurt, it might be a bit on the interior shell chipped off .

Back
Top Bottom