Help. Mama Hen goes in coop and leaves babies behind

I think putting a chick in a coop at dusk isn't that tall of an order. I would definitely ask her to check.

It sounds like it is just that one chick that is still having a hard time. I would like to think their survival instincts would kick in, and they would find their way into the coop eventually, but having someone check at dusk would be more ideal for sure.

I think that she will jump out of the play yard as long as she is able to. Birds don't always think clearly about that kind of stuff. Is the MHP a heater? I was thinking that might solve the problem to have a heater they can go under if they are cold. Maybe you could just put a chick heater at the bottom of the ramp in case the yellow baby doesn't figure it out.

I think putting a chick in a coop at dusk isn't that tall of an order. I would definitely ask her to check.

It sounds like it is just that one chick that is still having a hard time. I would like to think their survival instincts would kick in, and they would find their way into the coop eventually, but having someone check at dusk would be more ideal for sure.

I think that she will jump out of the play yard as long as she is able to. Birds don't always think clearly about that kind of stuff. Is the MHP a heater? I was thinking that might solve the problem to have a heater they can go under if they are cold. Maybe you could just put a chick heater at the bottom of the ramp in case the yellow baby doesn't figure it out.
my girls will be leaving here to head to the campground a couple hours before dusk, but mama normally heads in around the time that they would leave. I may have my older one take a peek (or I can look on the camera and if I notice it out message her) and put it in if it is out.

an dnot that it is a tall order but....... She hadn't been out with the chickens in a while so when she went out a couple weeks ago my rooster jumped at her once, she was in there after that and he was ok but I was also in there by then. That is why I wasn't sure if she would do it because he was a jerk with her. My older one may since even though he did peck her the last time she let them out to free range he is normally good with her and she knows how to handle him (one is 19 and one 17 so not young, but think the 17 yr old is afraid of him). He is great with me, has pecked my husband a couple times but my husband puts him right in his place and he is fine. So I was SHOCKED when he jumped at my 17 yr old. I think it was more that she was a "stranger" so he was protecting his ladies.

the yellow chick is a bit more independent so wanders off a bit more think that is why it is still having a hard time as it doesn't always listen and likes to do it's own thing. hahaa. but hoping where she went to go get it and it did follow that maybe it will be smart enough to know where to look now??? We aren't leaving till mid afternoon so maybe she will come out and go in before then at least once so I can see how the chicks do.

ya I figured she would. She is a Cochin though so normally doesn't jump much besides to go on the roost so I was hoping where the play yard wasn't huge and on the taller side that she wouldn't attempt it. :( a MHP is a mama heating pad. so a heat source made with a heating pad. I could put it in the run and while my run is predator proof I do have rats that have figured out where the edge of the apron is and found their way in. so would be afraid to put it in the run and have the chicks stay there. The rats only ever go in when the big chickens are in the coop and it is dark out (and yes I am trying to trap them and get rid of them but it is a never ending battle but one I hope to win).

That makes sense. Roosters can be so hard sometimes. Do you think he would make a fuss if someone checks in while he is already on the roost? Mine just clucks at anyone, and I'm sure the chick wouldn't freeze by then.

We are lucky enough to not have rats (the smartest of the rodents, in my opinion), but I believe it is only because other alpha predators would get them first. They certainly put a wild card in the situation.

I am glad that it seems to be going in the right direction! I will be praying.

That makes sense. Roosters can be so hard sometimes. Do you think he would make a fuss if someone checks in while he is already on the roost? Mine just clucks at anyone, and I'm sure the chick wouldn't freeze by then.

We are lucky enough to not have rats (the smartest of the rodents, in my opinion), but I believe it is only because other alpha predators would get them first. They certainly put a wild card in the situation.

I am glad that it seems to be going in the right direction! I will be praying.
Once on the roost he would be fine I think.
When I had the person checking on them come into the run, I went in first and picked him up then had her come in and I put him down. He seemed ok with her in there then. So hopefully now that he has seen her in with me he won't be a jerk. I told her she could bring a rake in with her is she was worried.

Well been watching today and Ditzy was out with the babies then went in and babies went with her. Then they were back out. Then she went in and they just walked off.... They started peeping and she went back out. Haven't seen her go back in since, but fingers crossed I think they figured it out just in time...

Yeah, it's hard. They are just trying to do their job, but like dogs, some of them take it a little too seriously.
Yup

Well mama and babies went in last night!!! The yellow one stayed out for a bit and did it's thing. Then went in. Lol

Yay! That's great. That was probably a good lesson for the chick to be strong and independent. I hope it helps them in the future.

Enjoy your trip!

Chicks have been doing great and go in with mom most times. There are times she goes in and they don't want to follow so stay out, then I see her pop right back out. haahaa! But so glad they figured it out and did AMAZING while I was camping!

And I now have 2 other broody hens!!! UGH! haahaa. One started Sat night the other Monday afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom