Help. Mama Hen goes in coop and leaves babies behind

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
so the chicks are 6 days old as of tonight. 1 hatched under mama, 1 in an incubator the same night and I gave it to her the next day. she has been a great mom (they hatched last Tue night). She took them around the coop the first couple days here and there, calls them to eat and drops food for them etc. on Sat she took them out to the run the first time. My coop is raised so there is a ramp. and the babies did/do great going down it. Mama went out a couple times and left the babies in the coop the first few days but for short little outings.

Well now around 5:30-6pm mama goes back in the coop (the rest of the crew doesn't go in until closer to 8pm). Well I watched tonight and she jumps up about 1/4 of the way up the ramp and then walks in. I think the babies lose her when she jumps up on it. So they are left outside peeping for her. She just goes in and heads to her nest box. Thankfully I have a camera in the coop and run and have been home so peek in often around that time so I can head out and put the chicks at the bottom of the ramp (the little yellow one that hatched in the incubator will come running over to me when I put my hand down and jump in my hand when it can't find mama and the darker one more follows or I have to catch it) then I use my hand to guide them up the ramp and into the coop (I have 4 week old chicks that are also running around the coop so sometimes they are loud and I think the babies can't hear mama so they try to run back out so I have to go in and guide them in further into the coop until they hear her then they go running and jump in the box with her. I have done this the past 3 nights.

My problem is we are going camping Thurs-Sun. I have someone stopping to check on Fri and Sat night and 1 daughter MIGHT be home around that time Thurs. But I am not sure what time the person checking on Fri and Sat will be checking. So I am worried the chicks won't have this figured out by then and will get stuck outside along all night! Should I bring mama out of the nest box and put her at the bottom of the ramp to walk up it the next 2 days so the chicks can follow her? She I just keep showing the chicks how to get up and walking them up it? I don't just put them in the coop because I am hoping they figure out to head there and go up to see if mama is in there if they can't find her. But what do I do for the next 2 days????? And what do I do if they don't figure it out by Wed night since I will be gone the next 3 nights???

sorry for the long read hope some of you made it through and have some ideas.

I just incubator hatched 19 chicks and a few more on the way, I have the broody who sat on some of the eggs during lockdown sitting on 10 of the older chicks while the others finish the hatch. Tomorrow I am planning on putting the mom and all the chicks in their own sunroom/coop with a chained-screwed to the wall heat lamp. I think she is going to be a good mom, but I would not trust her to march around the yard with babies. When they get older, maybe, if they ever let us let them run free again. (flattening the chicken curve...)

What you are describing isn't that unusual with ramps. The hen is at the top of the ramp calling the chicks. The chicks desperately want to go to Mama but they don't know to go to the end of the ramp and walk up. I've seen this type of thing a couple of times. One hen went back down to the chicks when they didn't come up but the other stayed up. Eventually they will either learn to walk up the ramp or fly up (their wings develop quite early) but you are in a bind.

Can you build steps right under the top of that ramp. Maybe use pavers or bricks so they can hop up. My pop door on the coop is a foot or so off the coop floor and the ground outside, I use pavers to make steps so the very young chicks can follow Mama outside and get back in. You might be amazed at how well they can jump.

Here are all the solutions I can think of-

- Buy a dog kennel, $40 or so at tractor Supply, and put it in run. Buy a small waterer and feeder (probably $5-7, total if you have a regular mouth ball jar to put in the feeder. These will come in handy every time you have chicks). If you strap the waterer to a piece of 2x4" it can't fall over (we use 2 thick rubber bands)
- Build a different enclosure in run that she can't get out of (will come in handy everytime you have a broody with chicks)
- Make a ramp that is easier for chicks to get up and spend tomorrow making sure it works
- Bring them camping in said dog kennel. Even if she freaks out at least you know she and her chicks are safe
- Find more people to help you watch them (do you have a neighborhood forum?)
- Put the chicks in a brooder, ideally where she can still see them
- Don't go camping
- Leave and hope they are there when you come back :(

No one wants the last one, but that means you have to pick one or two of the other ones ;)

I just incubator hatched 19 chicks and a few more on the way, I have the broody who sat on some of the eggs during lockdown sitting on 10 of the older chicks while the others finish the hatch. Tomorrow I am planning on putting the mom and all the chicks in their own sunroom/coop with a chained-screwed to the wall heat lamp. I think she is going to be a good mom, but I would not trust her to march around the yard with babies. When they get older, maybe, if they ever let us let them run free again. (flattening the chicken curve...)
I have had her in the coop with the flock the whole time and the chicks with them since they hatched (well 1 since about 19 hrs old and 1 since day 1. I had blocked off the chicken door in the coop ONCE when she first had the babies outof the nest and she FREAKED OUT. SCREAMING because it was blocked. I only have hte 1 coop and run. I have a brooder under my poop boards but the 4 week old chicks still use that at night and are out with the rest during the day until they put themselves to bed so I can't use that for her and her chicks.

I'm sorry, that sounded rude when I read it back. That is not what I was trying to do. It just seems like you've drawn yourself into a corner, and I wanted to try to encourage you to look at it differently.

Maybe you are feeling sad and/or frustrated that these little guys are throwing this at you right now, too (of all times). Why now, when you are trying to see your family, right?

I hope that something becomes illuminated and works for you. I will pray for a somewhat miraculous resolution till then :).

I think putting a chick in a coop at dusk isn't that tall of an order. I would definitely ask her to check.

It sounds like it is just that one chick that is still having a hard time. I would like to think their survival instincts would kick in, and they would find their way into the coop eventually, but having someone check at dusk would be more ideal for sure.

I think that she will jump out of the play yard as long as she is able to. Birds don't always think clearly about that kind of stuff. Is the MHP a heater? I was thinking that might solve the problem to have a heater they can go under if they are cold. Maybe you could just put a chick heater at the bottom of the ramp in case the yellow baby doesn't figure it out.

That makes sense. Roosters can be so hard sometimes. Do you think he would make a fuss if someone checks in while he is already on the roost? Mine just clucks at anyone, and I'm sure the chick wouldn't freeze by then.

We are lucky enough to not have rats (the smartest of the rodents, in my opinion), but I believe it is only because other alpha predators would get them first. They certainly put a wild card in the situation.

I am glad that it seems to be going in the right direction! I will be praying.

Yay! That's great. That was probably a good lesson for the chick to be strong and independent. I hope it helps them in the future.

Enjoy your trip!

Chicks have been doing great and go in with mom most times. There are times she goes in and they don't want to follow so stay out, then I see her pop right back out. haahaa! But so glad they figured it out and did AMAZING while I was camping!

And I now have 2 other broody hens!!! UGH! haahaa. One started Sat night the other Monday afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom