Help! Mandarin duckling with gammy leg/foot

duck-lady

Chirping
Jun 10, 2019
Manchester, UK
Hi. Im new here but have used the advice in several posts before.

I bought four mandarin ducklings last week, they are about 2 weeks old. I have one who yesterday i saw limping and having her foot picked at by the others. I had a feel and it felt like it could be small break at the ankle. I braced it yesterday (carefully and gently) making sure the strapping was not too tight.

Today i have removed the bracing to check on it only to find her foot is like cardboard ☹️. Its like all semblance of moisture has been sucked out of it and I am assuming that the foot has somehow died. She is still eating and drinking but simply hops about then rests.

I dont know what to do.

I actually joined to ask a question about my other duckling who i got for free because he has a bent neck (his name is bendy) but this is more urgent because bendy is managing just fine.

Hi. Im new here but have used the advice in several posts before.

I bought four mandarin ducklings last week, they are about 2 weeks old. I have one who yesterday i saw limping and having her foot picked at by the others. I had a feel and it felt like it could be small break at the ankle. I braced it yesterday (carefully and gently) making sure the strapping was not too tight.

Today i have removed the bracing to check on it only to find her foot is like cardboard ☹️. Its like all semblance of moisture has been sucked out of it and I am assuming that the foot has somehow died. She is still eating and drinking but simply hops about then rests.

I dont know what to do.

I actually joined to ask a question about my other duckling who i got for free because he has a bent neck (his name is bendy) but this is more urgent because bendy is managing just fine.
Can you please post some pictures of her leg/foot?

Yes... Given how swollen her ankle has now become im thinking its going to be a vet job if she makes it to the morning
IMG_20190610_180127.jpg
IMG_20190610_180140.jpg

Oh just to add... I got mixed up, it's a boy

I've never had anything like this before. Ive had ducklings injure themselves before (one who kamikaze'd off my kitchen table - he's fine by the way, despite a probable below knee fracture, and is waddling around outside unless he can sneak past my hubby and come in for cuddles ❤️) but they've always been good with a little time and care.

I tell a lie. My hubby was up first and told me he had died. Limpy is still going, the foot is soft again and he is full of gusto!

One of them did pass away... It was bendy! The other one with a form of wry neck that I was originally going to ask about.

Back
Top Bottom