Help...maybe?

emmajane07

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Missouri
Hi everyone--I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I have 3-4 week old ducklings. I didn't notice any problems until they took their first swim this weekend...two of the darker ducks (cayuga and rounen) wing's almost look white underneath and at the ends. I felt them and they felt thick. They didn't mind me messing with them. They stay against their bodies just fine and they stretch them just fine. I never noticed this on my two adult ducks when they were babies. Is this because their feathers are still coming through or is this a problem?

Also, my buff girl, also 4 weeks. After her swim it looks like her wings were slipping down (not out). Could this be a problem?

I never noticed any odd wing things with my first set of ducks, so I have no idea if I am being paranoid or if there could be a real issue here.

I attempted to take pictures--but, they didn't turn out well. If pictures will help, I will certainly try again!

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone--I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. I have 3-4 week old ducklings. I didn't notice any problems until they took their first swim this weekend...two of the darker ducks (cayuga and rounen) wing's almost look white underneath and at the ends. I felt them and they felt thick. They didn't mind me messing with them. They stay against their bodies just fine and they stretch them just fine. I never noticed this on my two adult ducks when they were babies. Is this because their feathers are still coming through or is this a problem?

Also, my buff girl, also 4 weeks. After her swim it looks like her wings were slipping down (not out). Could this be a problem?

I never noticed any odd wing things with my first set of ducks, so I have no idea if I am being paranoid or if there could be a real issue here.

I attempted to take pictures--but, they didn't turn out well. If pictures will help, I will certainly try again!

Any thoughts are appreciated :)
Pictures of the Cayuga and Rouen would be good so we can actually see what your talking about, but the slipping wings sounds normal about the time they start to get in their blood feathers on their wings they become heavy and as they are building muscle to hold them in proper place they will droop then bring them back up I see this in most of my Muscovy's when they are that age. so as long as they aren't sticking out and it looks like angel wing it's very normal.

Pictures of the Cayuga and Rouen would be good so we can actually see what your talking about, but the slipping wings sounds normal about the time they start to get in their blood feathers on their wings they become heavy and as they are building muscle to hold them in proper place they will droop then bring them back up I see this in most of my Muscovy's when they are that age. so as long as they aren't sticking out and it looks like angel wing it's very normal.
Thank you! I only noticed the "white" when they were wet. So, next time I let them go for a dip--I'll try to get some better pictures! The Buff duckling also falls back on her legs--she walks fine and gets up fine. It's almost like she is too lazy to stand. I am keeping a close eye on her for that as well. Anything I can do to help her? I feel like I either got so lucky with my first two ducks or I am just paying a lot better attention with this batch. :(

Thank you! I only noticed the "white" when they were wet. So, next time I let them go for a dip--I'll try to get some better pictures! The Buff duckling also falls back on her legs--she walks fine and gets up fine. It's almost like she is too lazy to stand. I am keeping a close eye on her for that as well. Anything I can do to help her? I feel like I either got so lucky with my first two ducks or I am just paying a lot better attention with this batch. :(
Sometimes they need a boost of Vitmain B# which is niacin, I like to use Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast it can be sprinkled over top of feed or in water, but the dificiency can cause weakness in their legs so it would not hurt to add some to their diet.
Seems with our first ones we don't notice things so much then along comes new babies and we See it all. Which can be good if it's really a problem. what are you feeding them? also you can give them romaine lettuce chopped up and toss into water it has some niacin in it also but i would dif get some BY and try that.

Sometimes they need a boost of Vitmain B# which is niacin, I like to use Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast it can be sprinkled over top of feed or in water, but the dificiency can cause weakness in their legs so it would not hurt to add some to their diet.
Seems with our first ones we don't notice things so much then along comes new babies and we See it all. Which can be good if it's really a problem. what are you feeding them? also you can give them romaine lettuce chopped up and toss into water it has some niacin in it also but i would dif get some BY and try that.
Thank you Miss Lydia! Very helpful.

I have added Brewers Yeast to my shopping list.

I am feeding them Nutrena Nature Wise Chick Starter (I also have 6 chickens with them). They get snacks in the evening like meal worms, crushed corn, sun flower seeds.... just a medley of stuff in a bag that I got at the farm store.

And what most of us use is chick starter but it doesn't have the naicin that water fowl need, some ducklings it doesn't seem to bother but others will have pronblems so always better to add some BY to their feed up until 8-10 weeks of age.

Thank you! I got some brewers yeast tonight and put it in their water. Surely this won't hurt the chickens, right?

Thank you! I got some brewers yeast tonight and put it in their water. Surely this won't hurt the chickens, right?

No it won't I put BY in the fermented feed all my flock eats, it's just packed with B vitamins which are water soluble so they pass out through the kidneys whats not used. Good for you to go and get some, usually if it's a B3 deficiency it takes anywhere from a few days to a week to see the difference in them. Depending on how much water I'll go for 1 gal I'd add a tablespoon of BY or you can sprinkle over their feed to. main thing is you want to make sure she is getting enough. Keep us updated. and pics of them when you get a chance. would love to see them all.
smile.png

No it won't I put BY in the fermented feed all my flock eats, it's just packed with B vitamins which are water soluble so they pass out through the kidneys whats not used. Good for you to go and get some, usually if it's a B3 deficiency it takes anywhere from a few days to a week to see the difference in them. Depending on how much water I'll go for 1 gal I'd add a tablespoon of BY or you can sprinkle over their feed to. main thing is you want to make sure she is getting enough. Keep us updated. and pics of them when you get a chance. would love to see them all. :)

I managed to get some ok pictures. The buff duck and her wing...which currently looks normal. Hard to tell since she is getting her buff colored feathers. And, then 2 pictures of the rouens wings. The cayuga's wings looked very thin and fluffy at the ends. With the BY, It seemed to collect at the bottom of the waterer I am using. So I ended up putting some food in a little bowl with a decent amount of BY mixed in and let the ducks eat it that way. I'll figure out a better method this weekend. I also researched fermenting feed today....so it seems that adding the BY that way will be the most beneficial. Here are some pics!

Back
Top Bottom