Help me age my rescued mallard duckling

maschari827

Hatching
Jul 9, 2019
My husband was at work today and a bunch of ducklings were running around in there building they let them go and watched for the mother and she never showed so they rescued them bc cats were starting to go after them so this is Hopper I am trying to figure out how old the duckling is and if it still needs a heat lamp

Attachments

• received_581872652344067.jpeg
    received_581872652344067.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 19
He is only a day or two old and does need a heat lamp. He also needs friends. Ducks are flock animals and unless you plan to keep him with you 24-7, he needs a friend. I am sure you are a great person and mean well but I would strongly recommend you contact a wildlife rehabilitation center. On your own, the poor little guy will probably never be able to be successfully released into the wild. It also happens to be illegal to keep a wild animal without a permit. Good luck!

He is only a day or two old and does need a heat lamp. He also needs friends. Ducks are flock animals and unless you plan to keep him with you 24-7, he needs a friend. I am sure you are a great person and mean well but I would strongly recommend you contact a wildlife rehabilitation center. On your own, the poor little guy will probably never be able to be successfully released into the wild. It also happens to be illegal to keep a wild animal without a permit. Good luck!

Actually, depending on where she lives it may not be illegal. I live in UK and can keep any native slow worm/Snake/lizard as long as I do not sell it or any offspring it may have. I can also rescue any other wild animal without a permit. fox/badger/deer rabbit etc

That's a wood duck.Yes,it needs a heat lamp as it looks a couple day old.As already suggested by others contacting a wildlife rehabilitation center would be a good long term option for the duckling.

Actually, depending on where she lives it may not be illegal. I live in UK and can keep any native slow worm/Snake/lizard as long as I do not sell it or any offspring it may have. I can also rescue any other wild animal without a permit. fox/badger/deer rabbit etc

"Ducks are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and it is illegal for any person to capture, possess or relocate ducks and other migratory birds without proper state and federal permit. You must be a licensed facility and a licensed rehabilitator to have a wild bird in your possession for more than 24 hours. Licensed wildlife rehabilitators have been trained to care for injured, sick, or abandoned wildlife birds; under these highly specialized training, the baby birds will be raised to be wild and will be returned to their natural environments when they are ready. As tempting as it may be, the majority of the birds which are cared for by well-meaning, but untrained people for more than 24 hours usually die as a result of improper diet, low temperature regulation, and aspiration"

"Ducks are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and it is illegal for any person to capture, possess or relocate ducks and other migratory birds without proper state and federal permit. You must be a licensed facility and a licensed rehabilitator to have a wild bird in your possession for more than 24 hours. Licensed wildlife rehabilitators have been trained to care for injured, sick, or abandoned wildlife birds; under these highly specialized training, the baby birds will be raised to be wild and will be returned to their natural environments when they are ready. As tempting as it may be, the majority of the birds which are cared for by well-meaning, but untrained people for more than 24 hours usually die as a result of improper diet, low temperature regulation, and aspiration"

As I said. different laws here in UK. doesn't say where she's from. This is what our law says:
  • Injured birds can be treated, provided that they are released afterwards. If seriously injured they may be humanely killed.
  • I assume abandoned ducklings can be classed in the above. or the sub section which isn't in the RSPCA shortened version.
  • I pretty much agree with everything you said though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom