Help me become a better artist? Pet portraits from a beginner!

Of course!
big_smile.png

Eurgh, I'm almost done with Diva's hen. Black is hard! I'll pull through.
wink.png
I should really be able to catch up this weekend, promise!

Black isn't that hard once you learn to use the light and dark to your advantage! Don't try to go for the darkest dark right way, build the depth, mid tones, then darken the darker, and work with the light... work in layers. Look closely, there is actually a lot of "light" in blackened subjects. It's hard to describe... it's just something you'll have to practice and develop your techniques as you go.

I do pet portraits on the side too. The photo isn't that great, but here's one I'm working on. Look at the patch of black on his forehead. It's supposed to be all black, but I only used the darkest near the crease, and the same for the light part near the crease. This gives the impression of being black, without making it all black, but also creates depth. The rest of the black patch is dark, but not black. In other words, save your blackest black for creating the depth. Does this make sense?.

Keep practicing! You're off to a great start!

Last edited:
wow that is awesome my drawing allways look like cartoons never can make anything that looks realistic.

Are you still drawing pics? Here is one for ya, you dont have to do it I just figured I'd post in case you still wanted more subjects :) Oh and I seen blacks are giving you issues so here is my orange cat named Savage :)

Whom ever... Since I didn't see a pic of a reptile, here's a picture of Syd, my bearded dragon to practice drawing :)

He just ate some kale, so you can leave the hanging vegetation outta his mouth! LOL

here is theoldchicks horse KMSH I hope it is ok if i draw some of the pets to i love to draw and i haven't had much inspration lately I don't want to step on anyones toes though
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom