Help me build an incubator from an old mini-fridge! (Ventilation, light bulbs position etc.)

drdn

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2019
Hello!

I'm planning on bulding an incubator from an old fridge, but I have some questions before I begin and I thought this would be the best place to ask!

So, this is the fridge:
20210430_021108.jpg

The dimensions are: (19" Width x 15.75" Depth x 12.6" Height) or (48.26 cm Width x 40 cm Depth x 32 cm Height)
Can somebody tell me where is better to put the light bulb(s), on top or on bottom of the fridge?
  • Where to put light bulb(s), on the top or on bottom?
  • How many holes to drill for ventilation and where?
  • Where to put the fan(s) and in what direction should the air flow?
Any help you can give would be very appreciated!

For the light bulb, I've always put mine on the top. and for the ventilation holes, I've found that 6 on the front or back and 3-4 on the sides works fine (mine is the same size except not as deep.)

For the light bulb, I've always put mine on the top. and for the ventilation holes, I've found that 6 on the front or back and 3-4 on the sides works fine (mine is the same size except not as deep.)
Thanks for replying!
What size should the holes be?

Hello again!

I'm surprised I didn't get much help on this, but anyway I tried my best to build my incubator and I must say it turned out to be a success story. Out of 50 eggs, 36 of them hatched (72% hatch rate).

Here is a picture of my cute little chicks:
20210523_023735.jpg

Now, I want to help others if they ever want to build an incubator of this size. I drilled four 12mm (~1/2 inch) holes on top of the incubator, almost at the 4 edges. I placed 2 40 watt light bulbs and close to them I placed a fan blowing towards the top of the incubator.
Here is the picture so you can better understand:
20210523_025253.jpg

The temperature was very stable almost every time, except when it was very hot on the room. I put aluminum foil on two sides after I had temperature spikes and it did the job, so next time I will cover all the sides with aluminum foil.

The temperature I used is: 37.5° (99.5 F)
Relative humidity first 18 days: 50% - 60%
Relative humidity last 3 days: 70% - 80%

P.S. Thanks again to @TurkeyTheQuail for trying to help.

Hello again!

I'm surprised I didn't get much help on this, but anyway I tried my best to build my incubator and I must say it turned out to be a success story. Out of 50 eggs, 36 of them hatched (72% hatch rate).

Here is a picture of my cute little chicks:
View attachment 2683509

Now, I want to help others if they ever want to build an incubator of this size. I drilled four 12mm (~1/2 inch) holes on top of the incubator, almost at the 4 edges. I placed 2 40 watt light bulbs and close to them I placed a fan blowing towards the top of the incubator.
Here is the picture so you can better understand:
View attachment 2683522

The temperature was very stable almost every time, except when it was very hot on the room. I put aluminum foil on two sides after I had temperature spikes and it did the job, so next time I will cover all the sides with aluminum foil.

The temperature I used is: 37.5° (99.5 F)
Relative humidity first 18 days: 50% - 60%
Relative humidity last 3 days: 70% - 80%

P.S. Thanks again to @TurkeyTheQuail for trying to help.
aa I'm so sorry! I haven't been active lately and didn't respond. I'm glad to see it worked out in the end though!

Back
Top Bottom