Help me BYC members...what kind is he?

Feathered Landings

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Eatonville, WA
We were playing poker last night when my friend showed up with a Rooster?!? He had heard me saying I want one...and decided to get me one. I think he's a RIR but I'm really not sure. Does anyone have any have any ideas on what breed he is or maybe he's a mutt? Thanks in advance. Rachel

26147_img_7001.jpg

Looks like my RIR roo Big Guy or BG
Handsome feller!
BG is really great with his girls! Always letting them get the trears first even telling them about them so they won't miss out.
A feirce guard doggy but gentle and "usually" sweet guy with me. He definately does not want attention other than to be admired when he struts. He gets lots of "your a big boy Beeg"'s from us and he seems fine with that, will even puff up his chest a bit more when we say things like that to him.
He even tucks himself away on top of a cinder block in the corner at night to let the girls have the best roosts.
If he turns out anything like out BG you will be happy to have him!

Thanks...that's what I was thinking too. We have a RIR hen and they look very similar. The people that gave him to my friend said he's 10 weeks and that they were getting rid of him because the other roos were picking on him. He seems to hold his own here though. We've just put all the hens in with him and all we have left is the male guinea fowl. Any suggestions on how to introduce to males to each other? So far, we've had them looking through the coop run at each other and I don't think they like each other too much yet. I hope they can get along. Any suggestions for that one? Rachel

Here's another pic of him.
26147_img_6999.jpg

Quote:
To some extent, they usually start growing around 4-6 months.. By 8-9 they're around half a inch. Year-year and a half, about a inch. Two-three years they usually start to curl and can be around 3 inches or more, sometimes less.. And then it's harder to tell because they just look the same from then on.. Though i've heard of roosters spurs growing into their legs, i've never let mine get that long though.. I trim em.

Back
Top Bottom