Help me change this into a coop

Lisa's my baby sister. I told her this was the place to get help.
smile.png
The structure faces south. She lives in Iowa (summer highs over 100°F, winter lows below 0°F). The first question is: how does one go about insulating and installing ventilation in such a beast?

My inclination would be to pour (or build) a new foundation for it so that it's level (doesn't look level to me right now) with no gaps for predators to take advantage of. That seems like a huge undertaking, however. I'm betting that it's pretty darned heavy! Maybe we could jack it up, level it, and install a better base material (crushed rock?) that can be topped with a chook-friendly floor? That also seems like the cost could add up quickly.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions or examples of similar structures for her?

Did everyone else just see my big sister volunteering to help me finish this? I'm not too concerned with predators because my plan is to have the run surround the entire building. I need to make the run predator secure, but an engineer friend had some suggestions for me with that.

Does the Quonset need more insulation? Mi have no idea if those ridges have insulation or not but a friend thought they did. I know we'll have to have at least one, but I'm thinking maybe two heat lamps in the winter because of how long the building is. I'll take measurements tomorrow when the sun is back up.

How would you go about adding a vent in the back, and what kind of a vent would you add?

I'm thinking we need to jack the entire thing up, pull out all the bricks, and set the beast level with the ground. Husband suggested pouring concrete around the perimeter (I do not look forward to mixing that much concrete) to deal with the drafts around the bottom, or just piling up and packing in the dirt around the inside. What do you think?

thumbsup.gif
This will make a good coop.Check out the breeds post at the home page and it will give you some idea on what breed to look for.I suggest jacking the building off of the ground about a foot give or take.Level the ground completely around the building under the walls.Scratch the ground the outside of the building about 2" deep and about 3' out.Get a roll of rat wire or cloth wire and lay it down on the ground outside in the scratched out area and under the building.Pull it to the inside of the building far enough so that you can lay a 4"x6" treated timber under the wall on top of the wire.Bring it in so that you can bend the wire around the timber and get the wire high enough to cover the holes at the bottom.give enough wire to attach the wire to the building.You will have to set the building back down before you attach the wire.This will provide protection from digging in from the out side.Cover the holes on the inside against predators And will give you a good flat foundation.Cover the wire after you have set the building in place.Build a front wall and place a person door in it as well as a chicken door.I'd put a window in the front wall and in the back wall.I would also put ventilation in the top as well as the bottom.Reason is so that the heat can rise and go out at the top.Also when it does get hot with ventilation at the bottom it allows the air to move on the ground.Heat is more harmful to chickens than cold.As long as your coop is draft free you don't have to worry about cold.Keep their living area dry and the humidity out and they will do fine.Heating the coop in the winter can be more harmful than the cold.In the summer I have a small fan that runs 24/7 to keep the air moving.I would put elec. in the the coop for a lite and a recept or two.This will get you on your way.This is what I see and just a few ideas.There is alot of good ideas on BYC,What works for one person may not work for someone else.Do keep roosts above the nesting boxes.I'd make ladder stand that leans against the wall for the roost.Make sure that the roosts has at least a 2"x4" roost with the 4" side facing up.This allows them to cover their feet in the winter when they roost.

-nods- There is special surface preparation needed for galvanized metal, and there is also special paint.

I like the idea of covering it with ivy, maybe wrapping it with chicken wire to give the ivy something to climb on.

That is an AWESOME structure you have to work with.

A round upward attic vent maybe and definitely some gable end vents.

Good luck!
yesss.gif

You can paint galvanised if you wipe it with vinigar then paint but that only keeps the paint on longer than if you dont. I would wrap it up with Ivy. put a roof vent in, ir two.

That is so cool! I would make a huge door on the open end framed in wood/hardware cloth, with removable plexiglass or clear corrugated panels and a large ventilated section on the top. That way they could get light and air and, in summer with the panels removed - even more air. What about retrofitting a sliding glass patio door with screen? I would put the nesting boxes by the door and make the run off the back side. Maybe cut a small chicken door to one side of the back end and make a people door into the run that is near the pop door so it can be closed easily at night. You will need to shore up the bottom to make it draft and predator proof. I would fill it all up with sand for easy cleaning. There is so much fun to be had with this thing. Not sure I'd paint it though. It's a chipping nightmare waiting to happen.

Since you want to make the run all the way around I think you could pile up the dirt on the inside like you were thinking.
I still think that is such an interesting shape to work with.
The ivy idea is great since it will let the sun warm it in the winter and let the leaves cool it in the summer. Thinking you may
need to water the ivy a lot to keep it going due to the heat.
You could try silver lace ivy. It is very hardy once it takes off and it grows like mad. It blooms nicely all summer here
in Colorado. I had some that covered an entire 8x8 shed where I lived several years ago and that was from one small
stick. It covered it in less than 2 seasons. I added a link so you can take a look. We think ours is pretty even if it is not this
full yet.

http://www.forestfarm.com/product.php?id=3572

that would be the coolest coop. I definitely would worry about it getting too warm. I think moving something heavy for pouring concrete would be a huge undertaking and not worth it. I'd lay gravel down...thick enough to cover the hole openings. Then I'd get reclaimed wood from a deck and basically build a wooden platform so they're off the gravel for clean up and you could put sand or shavings down. I don't know how you cut a hole in galvanized steel...maybe blow torch? Personally I wouldn't worry about it, I'd do what someone else suggested and leave the top open for ventilation, and put some corrugated plastic in the front, or even wood. I think growing ivy around it is a great idea, it would make it pretty and give some natural insulation.

The dimensions: 7 feet wide, 11 feet long, 5 foot 10 inches tall. Thanks for waiting for those. I love the idea of covering it in ivy. If you used a plywood frame to fill in the opening and build the front people sized doork, would you insulate that wall. If so, with what?

that would be the coolest coop. I definitely would worry about it getting too warm. I think moving something heavy for pouring concrete would be a huge undertaking and not worth it. I'd lay gravel down...thick enough to cover the hole openings. Then I'd get reclaimed wood from a deck and basically build a wooden platform so they're off the gravel for clean up and you could put sand or shavings down. I don't know how you cut a hole in galvanized steel...maybe blow torch? Personally I wouldn't worry about it, I'd do what someone else suggested and leave the top open for ventilation, and put some corrugated plastic in the front, or even wood. I think growing ivy around it is a great idea, it would make it pretty and give some natural insulation.
What do you mean by leave the top open for ventilation?

If I were to build a wall for the open end, I would insulate it like you would a house. Rolls of fiberglass insulation are fairly easy
and inexpensive. I think if you do a wall on the open end you would want to add a window on either side to let in the light.
Since it faces south I would make those big windows to let in the sun for warming as well. My coop actually gets a bit to warm with
our south window. This lets me open the human door to let some airing happen.

Back
Top Bottom