help me choose which 18 week old silkie roo to keep

ajablu

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Northeast, PA
Hi ! I am hoping you Silkie lovers can give me some advice on which roo to keep. I want to hatch some eggs in the future and breed to improve on what I have. We want them as pets, but want to breed to improve quality.
Thanks!
Michele
The first two pics are Roo-A
12492_blueroo-3.jpg
12492_bluerooa.jpg

The next two are Roo B. Actually we thought 2 were hens until we saw all three crow today. We now need new names for them.
12492_blueroob.jpg
12492_blueroob-3.jpg

The next two will be Roo-C until I get over my shock and think of boys names for them . You can't imagine how stunned I was when all three of these had a crowing contest while I was sitting in the front yard with them. I had been thinking they were a roo and two pullets!
12492_bluerooc-3.jpg
12492_bluerooc.jpg

I tried to get the best pics I could . If other views are needed let me know. I am hoping to get myself some nice silkies by breeding the best ones. Now that I have all roos I will need some nice pullets. I noticed that the color of the combs and wattles do not match on my boys. The combs look like a blue black color and the wattles are red. Not bright red like my others breeds, but a darker kind of red. I don't think they are as dark as they should be, but I am still learning about these guys. I still love all three even knowing that Breanna and Sierra are not the girls I thought. My daughter could not stop laughing at my expression when all three crowed.

Michele

From the pics, No. 2 would be my favorite. His wings look nice and tight and more conformed to the body, also he looks as though he has more width in his chest.. I do like number three also.. I know this is a tough decision. How old are they? You might want to wait until they are a year old and fully mature. Look at the feet too and choose the best toes and feathering for what you need to improve what you have in hens.

Thank you BamaChicken. They are 18 weeks old now. You are right, I wasn't thinking. I don't mind waiting until they are 1 year old. { I call them all Roos after they crow
smile.png
but know they are not yet}. I actually like the roos and enjoy the sounds of them crowing so keeping them is not a problem. I have loved chickens forever, but now getting interested in learning more and wanting to breed and hatch some eggs in the future. Uhh, They do not have any future hens yet but I was trying to get an idea of the best ones .
Two of them were hens until today lol...And now my babies are screaming roo at me as I look closer at them so I do not think there are any potential girl friends there. My younger ones are about 15 weeks old.
Michele

They have really nice crest for cockerels. I would have thought he third one was a pullet too. Here are a couple of young pullets i hatched Last winter.
045-1.jpg

This is a young cockerel I hatched last winter. He has a huge crest even now. Looking at him at three months he looks like a pullet.
004-10.jpg

This is him a few months ago.

019.jpg

They are all such good looking birds. It can be difficult to decide if some peoples silkies are dark blue or black for me
hmm.png

BamaChicken, your Silkies are gorgeous! Your cockeral does have a huge crest. He is a beauty. I was totally convinced two of mine were pullets.
If I had not seen them all crowing I would have never believed Breanna and Sierra were cockerals. They looked too soft and round looking to me , but Silkies are new for me. Maybe it was just me wishing really hard that they were pullets. What age do you find that you can usually tell? I think I would like to either buy some nice chicks or some nice quality hatching eggs in the spring and hope for some pullets.
I have a feeling my younger Silkies are cockerals too, but maybe one could be a pullet. I will have hope until I see them crow lol...

Thanks Lurky, roo-C was formerly Breanna and I was sure she was a she until today.

Michele

Back
Top Bottom