help me choose which 18 week old silkie roo to keep

Michele, i had been given 4 silkies summer 07 and 3 were splash and one blue. I posted pics on here in hopes someone would tell me they were girls
fl.gif
And it worked
jumpy.gif
All the BYC silkie experts told me they looked like girls........it wasnt until about 5 mos old that a few streamers shot out to let me know i would not be able to keep them all. Until then, it was really hard to tell. I think mostly we see what we want to see as long as we possibly can........which is alot of times when they crow
roll.png
But hey....nothing wrong with thinking positive
smile.png
............... right????
hu.gif
I also find that the really nice looking silkies are sooooo fluffy that it makes it hard to tell until later.

Lurky, You are right! The more fluffy they are the harder to tell! But I agree, I am thinking positive that one of my 5 younger ones MUST be a pullet!!!!
smile.png
I can't possibly have all roos... right??? Oh well... I have to find myself some nice pullets . I will have all roos and no ladies for them.
Four of my five younger ones are splash and one is a blue.
I love all the colors and would love to add a few whites, blacks and buffs. My daughter wants a partridge too.
Michele

Roo A - Good top knot, good wings. Tail could use improvment, and foot feathering is lacking.

Roo B - Good top knot, good wings, good foot feathering. Tail could use improvement, back is a little long.

Roo C - Appears to have split wing, small tail, long back, lacking in foot feathering.

Based on the above comparison, I would say to keep Roo B and improve on his type. Overall, he has the best potential.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to silkies too and I think they are all beautiful. They do have really nice shapes compared to a hatchery bird. Oh did you get those from IDEAL!!! O MY!

The other thing I have to say is Oh Oh. I have 8 week olds and thought I was so smart thinking I knew what they were. Oh Oh

And I think you MUST have one pullet in those other 15 weeks old.

Last edited:
Ajablu, one thing I do to help indentify cockerels is feel the comb. Even though hidden by the fluff usually there is a definite raised bump . The pullets tend to be flatter. Don't kow if that makes sense to you but try it and see if you have any younger ones.

Hi everyone! Thanks for your helpful advice. I appreciate the individual assessment of each boy from PouletsDeCajun. Tiki244, I am new to Silkies too and they all look beautiful to me. I am trying to learn more so I can choose which birds to breed from and which are just pets.

I said oh oh too yesterday when all three crowed lol... I knew those younger birds might not be the pullets I was thinking either I know one splash is a little roo, but until yesterday I thought the other 4 were pullets. I am going to try what BamaChicken suggested and feel the combs. I am also going to keep them all until they are a year old and take another look. I want to learn and see how or if they change between this age and being mature.

Tikki244, I bought these sweeties from a nice man in Ohio. His name is Alan and I found him on the internet.
I liked his pictures and contacted him for some babies which we wanted to have for nice pets.
Now since I have found this site I am interested in hatching some eggs and learning more about breeding some nice quality birds. I bought these babies about 1 month or so old and as a straight run.

Thanks again everyone for your advice and the pictures too. I love to see pics of everyones birds.
Michele

Was it Alan Stanford of BrowneggBlueegg silkies ? If so he is well known for his Blues and Splashes. Whites too I think.

Here is my Blue Roo in my breeding pens. He was hatched Spring of 2007. He has a huge Pom for a tail and not one hard feather in it. He is great in everyway except that his comb grew to large for show. Color of it is good. He is a great breeder quality.

100_2335.jpg

This is another veiw of him. Since that time he really got stockier and is just a very handsome Cock.
100_2315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom