Help me confirm the genders of my Orpingtons?

distincthead

Chirping
13 Years
Apr 24, 2007
Boone, NC
Hey all, I have 8 Orpingtons, 2 of which I know are roos (the cuckoo ones). I'm also fairly sure the lavender is a hen. The other 5 I am having trouble sexing. Perhaps one of you could help?

Last edited:
How old are they?

Those "cuckoo" birds aren't orpingtons at all. I don't know what they are, but that body type is not orp. They're long, lean and leggy, the opposite of an orpington.

I think I'm seeing alot of roosters, but will wait for guesses pending age of the birds.

Yeah those cuckoo ones threw me too. They started out as gray chicks with black dots on their heads and grew the fastest out of the whole flock. I have some Marans that are the same size, but these obviously aren't Marans either. Some sort of crossbreed? They came from a fellows house who sells only Orps and that Polish breed with the big "hats". Come to think of it, so did the Marans as they were given to him as rescues and then given to me because he didn't want them. Anyhow, they were all born around the first week of June, last few days of May at the earliest. The Marans I got as laying adult hens, not that it's relevant... ;)

Veer67 - The two in #9 probably are roosters, and they were aggressive as chicks too. They are the smallest/runtiest of the group. The big one in #10, well I just saw him crow, so that solves that. Ugh, buy 8 birds, get at least 5 roos hahaha

Anyone in CT have any English Orps they are willing to sell? Anyone need a roo? I'm looking for 3 hens at least before winter. I'll probably get rid of one of the cuckoo roos, and both of the smaller black ones.

Last edited:
Yeah those cuckoo ones threw me too. I have some Marans that are the same size, but these obviously aren't Marans either. Some sort of crossbreed? They came from a fellows house who sells only Orps. Anyhow, they were all born around the first week of June, last few days of May at the earliest.

Well they do look a lot like Black sex link roosters.

Well they do look a lot like Black sex link roosters.
That they do.

From their age I wold say that they are all roosters except for your lavender pullet.
I was worried about that. What luck! Alas, I guess I will be eating a lot of soup this Winter if nobody wants them. I can't justify feeding 7 huge roosters, they go through lots of feed.

Guess I'm looking for a minimum of 4 English Orp pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom