Help me convert this dog run!

Thanks, I should’ve clarified that I’m getting rid of the metal shed! I hate that ugly thing and intend to put up a wooden coop structure in its place :)

Good idea.

Again, if you're in a mild-winter, hot summer area I suggest an open-air coop with one wire wall. Or, if that doesn't appeal to you, my Little Monitor Coop is designed for 4 chickens in a hot, humid climate.

By dimensions, I meant how big is the fenced area? Much easier to span 8' than 12', etc.

and you may have some options using something like Two pole fence clamps to secure new, taller poles (potentially large diameter PVC, price depending) to support the roof/netting structure without having to buy very tall metal poles and reset them in concrete.

Good idea.

Again, if you're in a mild-winter, hot summer area I suggest an open-air coop with one wire wall. Or, if that doesn't appeal to you, my Little Monitor Coop is designed for 4 chickens in a hot, humid climate.
I'll echo this ^^. I'm up in Chico, and our North Valley summers make a typical 4-sided coop less necessary. A loafing shed or "open air" coop would be perfect, if you're planning to replace the metal shed anyway. So I wonder if you'd be better off sinking your money into the fencing and roofing rather than into a coop. If you could make the whole run very predator-safe, you could add 2.5-3 basic walls (plywood?), roosts, and a nesting box, and call it good. I say this as someone with zero coop or fence-building experience, though! Wishing you good luck with your rescue!

By dimensions, I meant how big is the fenced area? Much easier to span 8' than 12', etc.

and you may have some options using something like Two pole fence clamps to secure new, taller poles (potentially large diameter PVC, price depending) to support the roof/netting structure without having to buy very tall metal poles and reset them in concrete.
The fenced area is about 12.5ft by 7.5ft and thanks for the suggestions!

I'll echo this ^^. I'm up in Chico, and our North Valley summers make a typical 4-sided coop less necessary. A loafing shed or "open air" coop would be perfect, if you're planning to replace the metal shed anyway. So I wonder if you'd be better off sinking your money into the fencing and roofing rather than into a coop. If you could make the whole run very predator-safe, you could add 2.5-3 basic walls (plywood?), roosts, and a nesting box, and call it good. I say this as someone with zero coop or fence-building experience, though! Wishing you good luck with your rescue!
Thanks! And I agree I think open air is best since they’ve lived outside with no real coop their whole lives and are probably well adjusted to this climate now.

We use a dog kennel as an extension of our run so the chickens can be locked up while we're on vacation. I agree with everyone else's comments and I'm sure you already have lots of help... but I just wanted to add a few things.

If you're considering adding a roof, you may want to use a tarp. We recently added a tarp to the top of our kennel and it keeps the hawks, rain and snow out quite well (chickens are NOT snow fans... :lol:)

And for the ground: On the ground of the kennel it might get muddy on wet days (which can spawn parasites if there's open water) and your chickens might get bored if they're kept in the kennel for a long time. Though it is not necessary, both of these problems can be solved with a layer of pine needles or temporary straw on the ground.

Anyway that's it!

We use a dog kennel as an extension of our run so the chickens can be locked up while we're on vacation. I agree with everyone else's comments and I'm sure you already have lots of help... but I just wanted to add a few things.

If you're considering adding a roof, you may want to use a tarp. We recently added a tarp to the top of our kennel and it keeps the hawks, rain and snow out quite well (chickens are NOT snow fans... :lol:)

And for the ground: On the ground of the kennel it might get muddy on wet days (which can spawn parasites if there's open water) and your chickens might get bored if they're kept in the kennel for a long time. Though it is not necessary, both of these problems can be solved with a layer of pine needles or temporary straw on the ground.

Anyway that's it!
Yes I haven’t even started planning the ground yet. My backyard is a weird mix of poorly laid gravel, weeds and stepping stones? So I’m honestly not 100% sure what’s under all the dead leaves in the run at the moment but I’m going to be checking it out maybe this weekend!

Yes I haven’t even started planning the ground yet. My backyard is a weird mix of poorly laid gravel, weeds and stepping stones? So I’m honestly not 100% sure what’s under all the dead leaves in the run at the moment but I’m going to be checking it out maybe this weekend!
Don't put too much work into cleaning up the run area. Your chickens will appreciate the goodies under the leaves . In the fall, you can rake it all up, throw it on the garden and start again.

Back
Top Bottom