Help me decide on a chicken coop

Pics
How many chickens do you recommend for this? Anybody?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/VEIKOUS-6-...-Shed-with-Two-Doors-and-Lock-Grey/5013215145
Would this make a good walk in chicken coop or no?
6 chickens. but with metal you have new issues. Now, I know metal buildings can work, I've seen pics, and you are in Maine??? but ventilation and controlling heat probably become MUCH more important. So you are going to be cutting holes in that metal.... And having just paid a guy who SAID he knew what he was doing then had to call like 6 friends and took 5 days to assemble a metal Arrow shed, I will tell you these things are not easy and they are made of many very pliable, thin sheets of metal that are all wobbly until the thing gets screwed together. Thing is, if you cut into those segments it might affect the structural stability, and you will need to cut into them for ventilation.

I've read this thread, and if you must buy, I would recommend a walk-in height wood shed. They are very flexible. And you could probably hire someone to build you one if you don't want to do it-and that would be cheaper and meet your needs better than a premade coop. If you are willing to build something but want to keep it simple, look into the HOOP COOPs people have linked. watch youtubes on it. I hate the way they end up with tarps on them, but I bet you could roof one in corrugated metal and it would be beautiful. Or

It's really hard, but I'd take the time and really do what will work best for you, or else you will be rebuilding or rebuying soon. I'm pasting a pic of the coop I just built over the last couple months (not even 100% done). 8x10. for interest. I'm in an arid area, so my needs vary from yours as far as painting every inch...

By the way, see my chunnel? THAT could be an easy coop while you work on your masterpiece. 10ft 3/4" EMT poles at Home Depot are cheap, they you need a bender, and a drill guide and a bit that can go through metal and goggles and a lot of patience. You cover that with hardware cloth and you are good to go!

PXL_20220410_160538106.jpg

I agree with @chfriedmam.
Wooden buildings are the easiest to alter. Its also a warm builing material. And best for the environment in comparison with metal or plastic.

Metal roofs can cause problems with icing. Cheap plastic roofs and tarps get worn out by sun and other weather conditions very fast. Wood can last forever if the construction / wood doesn’t stay wet. I used plastic under a wooden roof. And a smal piece of EPDM , roofing the hanging nesting boxes.

EDITED: I have moved on from this coop and I'm now looking for sheds to convert to coops. Thanks .

I need to know the following.

1. Does it look predator proof?
2. Does it have adequate ventilation?
3. How many chickens can it hold max?

It is about 4x6 and 5'9" from the ground to the peak of the roof.
Oh, and I would definitely add locks to all the doors. :)
Thank you!
View attachment 3053082
View attachment 3053084
View attachment 3053087
View attachment 3053089
View attachment 3053090
View attachment 3053093
About the size of my new coop. From my extensive research, it’ll be sufficient for 5-7 hens. Make sure the roosting bars are higher than the nesting boxes so they don’t nest in the boxes and the will if boxes are same elevation. Makes a big mess in the boxes.

Back
Top Bottom