Help Me Decide on a Great Dual Purpose Homesteading Breed!

Quote:
I would love to get my to get my grubby hands on some true R.I. White chickens.. A lot of people don't know that they are a complete different breed than the R.I. Red.. (There not a White version of the R.I. Red) So they think that the R.I. White would/ should com in a single comb also but they don't...

Chris

Classic.rocker978 :

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was considering Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Delaware or Buff Orpington.

The more I read about the Cornish Cross the less I like owning them knowing how awful of a life they have been bred to lead.

I mainly want a breed that is friendly with children, is pretty quiet and calm. Preferably Non-Aggressive towards each other, I hate seeing them kill each other by pecking their butts out. Yet makes a Good hardy dual purpose bird.

I would definitely prefer a Heritage Breed. I want to know that if I was cut off from civilization that I could raise my own chickens and have them reproduce on their own. I dont want to have to buy more each year or two. I also need a more common breed that many stores such as "Farm & Home" would carry.

The Delaware is starting to look better and better but I'm still open to suggestions.

I raise buff orpingtons, rir, and barred rocks. My flock just started laying early this year, and i so far have 3 broody orps and one broody barred rock. I don't know if this is normal, but broodiness seems to be like a very aggressive flu in my orps. Both breeds are friendly. I have children around here all the time, and my chickens are very friendly. The reds are little aggressive for my taste sometimes. But they're fine too.

I think that orps (correct me if i'm wrong) lay a slightly smaller egg than a barred rock, so if that's a determining factor....

I really think you'd be happy with any of the breeds you've mentioned.​

Ya know the standard size salmon faverolle is a great dual purpose bird. That is what they were originally used for in France. My three girls lay nice large pinkish eggs almost all year round and my two boys are very nice laid back guys.

Classic.rocker978 :

Wow, I'm completely shocked at all of the responses... I would never have guessed this forum was so active!!!

A friend talked me into trying the Cornish Cross because they are supposed to be the BEST breed for meat. If I would have known that they cannot reproduce and have so many issues I would have probably stuck with a Dual Purpose Bird.

I do like my Production Reds.. They lay a big egg and they produce constantly. They seem to be just like a RIR except a bit less meaty.

Can my Production Reds reproduce and get good chicks or will they be a complete mut?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was considering Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Delaware or Buff Orpington.

The more I read about the Cornish Cross the less I like owning them knowing how awful of a life they have been bred to lead.

I mainly want a breed that is friendly with children, is pretty quiet and calm. Preferably Non-Aggressive towards each other, I hate seeing them kill each other by pecking their butts out. Yet makes a Good hardy dual purpose bird.

I would definitely prefer a Heritage Breed. I want to know that if I was cut off from civilization that I could raise my own chickens and have them reproduce on their own. I dont want to have to buy more each year or two. I also need a more common breed that many stores such as "Farm & Home" would carry.

The Delaware is starting to look better and better but I'm still open to suggestions.

Production Reds should breed true. I had production reds for years and hatched lots of chicks from them - all looked the same.

Production Reds are considered a dual-purpose breed. We've raised them for meat before - not as meaty as some but certainly meatier than a leghorn or something.​

Last edited:
There is no better bird for this than the Dorking. It is a breed with a long history. They are known for being good layers and brooders with very mellow temperaments and large bodies. My Dorking hen tolerates extreme temperatures very well (it gets above 100 here in the summer and was down to about 20 below last winter) and lays like a trooper. I know they are hard to find, but there is no better breed IMHO.

Cochins are also very sweet and friendly, and I love those feathered feet! I used to have a cochin that would sneak in an open window in the summer at night and try to sleep on the bed with me.
smile.png

I agree with Orps too. They come in different colors, are great moms and broodys, the dress out well, they are friendly and mellow. Mine have been fine with the weird weather in NY, both extreme heat and cold.

Quote:
Production Reds were developed out of a RIR/New Hampshire cross. New Hampshires were developed out of the RIR. For just a backyard flock, Production Reds do very well for a backyard laying flock. However, they are not a "Standard" breed and can not be exhibited at poultry shows. They are also not considered a Heritage Breed. The Production Red will breed somewhat true. In reality, most commercial hatcheries RIR are in fact a production red. A RIR is extreemly dark.

Quote:

Their results sort of depend on what breeds they TRIED. I don't see delawares mentioned anywhere and they are a bigger bird (meat) than Plymouth Rocks, and they LAY bigger eggs as often as any plymouth rock. And my maran's pullet lays BIGGER eggs than half the hen delawares from LAST year. ... so dunno about findings that probably didn't include less common/rarer breeds.

Back
Top Bottom