Help me decide what to do...story & questions

I would have to agree here. Their chicken, coyote or not. Reverse the situation and decide if you would want them to keep your chicken. Chances are they won't mind but I would bring their chicken back to them and offer to keep/care for her if they don't have the time.

If it were mine, I'd give her to you.

It appears that both you and you neighbor free range, so ...

Plus they should know that their chickens are not protected from the coyotes.

...this statement also applies to your flock as well as their's. No free range flock is protected from coyotes unless you have some exceptional dogs.

You might want to get some LGDs in your future now that you know the 'yotes are preying on the easy chicken pot pies in your neighborhood.​

Quote:
I agree. Kinda surprises me too that people are so quick to say keep something that doesn't belong to you. The chicken belongs to someone else. How would you feel if the situation was reversed and they had your Rose? And it doesn't matter if they don't name their chickens or if they eat them. Chickens are property and it is their chicken. It not like you don't know where it came from, you know it belongs to your neighbors. Tell them and if you really want it offer to buy it. What's the going price for a coyote mangled hen? Is it worth 5 or 10 bucks to you? If you keep it you just used the coyote to help you swipe someone else's hen.

If it's not your chicken, you don't know where it came from. If a Coyote got it, it could have come from anywhere. You should ask your neighbor if they are missing any birds and that you found one that had been mauled by a coyote in your field. Then play it by ear. Good luck.

Quote:
I agree. Kinda surprises me too that people are so quick to say keep something that doesn't belong to you. The chicken belongs to someone else. How would you feel if the situation was reversed and they had your Rose? And it doesn't matter if they don't name their chickens or if they eat them. Chickens are property and it is their chicken. It not like you don't know where it came from, you know it belongs to your neighbors. Tell them and if you really want it offer to buy it. What's the going price for a coyote mangled hen? Is it worth 5 or 10 bucks to you? If you keep it you just used the coyote to help you swipe someone else's hen.

Nothing wrong with mentioning that if nursing her back to health is not something they have the time/interest in that you would be willing to do it, but would like to keep her if you do, but you need to let them know.

You were saying that you were having a hard time getting a head count on your crew so it's reasonable that the neighbor could use the --probably wouldn't eve notice--logic in regards to your flock if the situation were reversed. I'm not throwing any stones, pretty much the same thing here, 25+ chooks that range over about 3 of our 9 acres. I do know who is who, but getting a good daytime head count is tricky.

Honestly people? Nurse it back to health and keep it???? What if it were your chicken?

I would let the owners know, and ask to keep it. If they say no, offer to buy her. It's the honest thing to do. Otherwise it is really stealing. No matter if they have a million chickens, and eat them 3 meals a day. It is still their chicken.

Thay will probably let you have it for nothing if you think you can nurse it back anyway. A person who raises for food, and has that many, needs to be made aware of coyotes in the area anyway. I'd most certainly want my neighbors to tell me.

Keep it and nurse it without telling anybody...hmph!
rant.gif

Quote:
The OP has said she knows where it came from, that is is from the adjacent property. She needs to give it back to the owners and if she really wants it offer to buy it. There is no wiggle room here, keeping the chicken when you know it belongs to your neighbor is stealing.

Quote:
Ditto. Honesty is the best policy. If you have to be sneaky doing it (whatever IT is) then don't do it. It would be very easy to knock on their door and say " I found a mangled chicken in our field, and I think its yours...I thought it was mine at first and starting nursing it back to health, do you mind if I continue? I kind of like her, if she pulls through, what would you take for her?" No harm, no fowl ( pun totally intended
lol.png
)

Quote:
The OP should memorize that speech; perfect. I'd be surprised if they didn't give her the hen. If they want a few bucks, so be it.

You say "they eat some of their chickens" like they couldn't possibly care about their birds because they eat them. I care a great deal about my chickens, and I eat some of them. I'm sure it's the same for many people.
If "they eat some of their chickens" then that chicken you are contemplating stealing MAY be your neighbor's DINNER. Give it back!
(and if they cull it and eat it then that's their option because it's their chicken)

Back
Top Bottom