Help me decide which broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 10 point, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I have two Buff orpington hens Carlos and Mackenzie that I think are both broody.

Carlos I know for sure is broody she's been in the nest for 3 days, but has never been broody before and isn't as protective as Mackenzie.

Mackenzie has been broody 4 or 5 times and is more protective but has only been in the nest about 12 hours.

I'm setting tomorrow in a separate hutch from the coop and need to know which hen to pick.

thanks any help is appreciated

2. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I would give the new girl a chance;)

3. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    I would put eggs under one that you think would be a good mother, or the one that has set on eggs before if either of them have [​IMG]

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    How many eggs ya got? Can you stick a few under each, and then if one gives up or does a bad job, just switch them over?

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:neither have hatched before

6. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:I'm only setting like 8-12 depending on how tomorrow turns out egg wise

7. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i'd just give them both small batches. [​IMG] it's fair, it doesn't put all the eggs in one basket if ya catch my pun/drift, and less chance of them getting smashed or of one broody fighting the other for the babies... (also, if mackenzie decides to quit, you can always shove them under carlos...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by