Help me diagnose de-pluming mites!

shakin_the_trees

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
When I first moved in and aquired my babies, one of our chickens always looked ratty, feathers looked ragged, and had a small pale comb. Since then her comb is red and big, but her feathers are still ratty, I figured after 6 months they would get better. She never acted sick. Now Im noticing that the ends of all my chickens feathers are starting to look like that and Im thinking I may have a de-pluming mite issues. Its mostly the feathers on the tails, but the ones that will let me pick up ive noticed that they are also missing some feathers and have bear skin on their under side. some look a little red and irritated. I haven't seen any clumps of eggs or anything anywhere, which is why I think I may have a depluming mite issue. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 1B701F81-B29F-4613-930A-0CA066D55861.jpeg
    1B701F81-B29F-4613-930A-0CA066D55861.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 078C1169-2395-49A1-9E2E-7C5D2CC69E2D.jpeg
    078C1169-2395-49A1-9E2E-7C5D2CC69E2D.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 23
  • 36848DE1-E66D-4FC1-AE6B-1556F1A6AAC2.jpeg
    36848DE1-E66D-4FC1-AE6B-1556F1A6AAC2.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 8492D5E6-AB58-4332-966E-EBF5E449BEBD.jpeg
    8492D5E6-AB58-4332-966E-EBF5E449BEBD.jpeg
    784.7 KB · Views: 22
  • C46972D8-51ED-4AAE-8952-D7FDDD25D961.jpeg
    C46972D8-51ED-4AAE-8952-D7FDDD25D961.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 26
That looks a little more like feather eating mites, seeing the tops of the feathers missing. Depluming mites live in the skin, and the chickens pull out the feathers trying to scratch them (maybe you know?). If you are seeing bald patches, too, perhaps you have both?

If you can put up a photo of the bald spots, they can look pretty distinctive.

Treatment is pretty easy for both. I know for depluming you want to use ivermectin, maybe it works for feather eating mites, too? I know depluming mites can be harder to treat because they are sub-dermal.

Just type in feather eating mites into a search on here or online and you can get more info. You can also type in ivermectin on here, and look up dosage. People talk about it all the time since it is a very common problem.

That looks a little more like feather eating mites, seeing the tops of the feathers missing. Depluming mites live in the skin, and the chickens pull out the feathers trying to scratch them (maybe you know?). If you are seeing bald patches, too, perhaps you have both?

If you can put up a photo of the bald spots, they can look pretty distinctive.

Treatment is pretty easy for both. I know for depluming you want to use ivermectin, maybe it works for feather eating mites, too? I know depluming mites can be harder to treat because they are sub-dermal.

Just type in feather eating mites into a search on here or online and you can get more info. You can also type in ivermectin on here, and look up dosage. People talk about it all the time since it is a very common problem.
Thank you! I'm just so new to the chicken world, and at times paranoid! And I want my babies to be okay :)

Good for you being such a vigilant chicken momma. Luckily these are not the most dangerous mites out there, but you never want any mites to go on for a long time since it stresses their systems.

It is good to be sure if you don't know, too, because some things can be fatal quickly.

Some folks do regular treatments for all lice, assuming they are there. Same things with folks deworming periodically. You can do some research and decide if you want to do preventative, natural or on an as needed basis for those things.

Some folks do regular treatments for all lice, assuming they are there. Same things with folks deworming periodically. You can do some research and decide if you want to do preventative, natural or on an as needed basis for those things.

Thats a good idea, what do people usually do for preventative?

Some folks will spray stuff in the coop, or use chemical dusting powder on the chickens periodically. I don't do that, since I think that chemicals can take a toll on their health, too. Some people say diatomaceous earth helps and dust them with that, others say it is too stressful for their respiratory systems.

From what I have heard preventatives don't work with DP mites since the under the skin thing. For DPM you just want to make sure the birds you get in the future don't have it and bring it in.

You want to make sure they can dust bathe easily, as well. Can yours get outside to do that? I can tell you how to set it up inside if they are only in a run.

A lot of people seem to deworm regularly. There are threads about it on here. I feed dia. earth in their feed and that seems to make a big difference, too.

There is a few good places in my run Ive seen them dust bathing so that makes me feel good. I put DE on the nesting boxes and coop when I do deep cleans but thats about it. Maybe I will put some in their feed. Thanks for all your help!

We would put a 14"x14" wood box in our run for the winter. We would fill it with a bunch of silty dirt with a tiny bit of wood ash and a tiny bit of DE. You can do something like that if you feel called.

Thats a good idea, what do people usually do for preventative?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

You can't prevent what you don't have.. you can only treat it once it's there. Standard bio security like not bringing in new birds from other places and not hanging bird feeders to attract wildlife and rodent control can be helpful.

I agree that it does not appear to be depluming mites.. which I have taken a bird to the vet to verify when feathers weren't growing back in. I'm not great at identifying exactly which species of lice or mite but here is an article that may help..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

That current feather condition will not really improve until they molt even though you treat effectively. The skin condition SHOULD improve quickly once treated! A couple links to my favorite veterinary resource..

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/lice-of-poultry

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry

The lice are even body part specific and may not travel to other parts.. like the head louse, body louse, or shaft louse. That's why my following statement has specific locations for the suggested spritz.

My preferred treatment is a ready mixed permethrin based "horse fly" spray.. Found in the equine section comes in many brand names and also different concentrations to be mixed down. it's very effective, easy to use, affordable (under $10), labeled for use in poultry, safe on chicks, and requires NO egg withdrawal! Soaking NOT required.. just a small spritz below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the back of the neck at the base of the head.. NOT safe for use on cats. Also for use on walls, perimeter, lay boxes, roosts, etc.

It's good to get familiar with YOUR parasite load conditions and treat accordingly. Soil type, weather pattern, stock density, wildlife load, etc ALL vary. I NEVER just treat without verifying need.. resistance is WAY to large a problem to ignore and I like stuff to be effective WHEN needed. I do monthly after dark checks (or treatment) with a flashlight (headlamp) keeping it dark, as that's the easiest way to NEVER chase birds and also to see crawlies running away on their skin.

The only internal parasites that can be seen in droppings is large round worms (including thread) and tape worms. All other will only pass microscopic oocysts (eggs) and even then only intermittently, possibly to never show up on a fecal floats. :he

What you are seeing right now is indeed indicator of a need to treat. Even if all are not showing symptoms equally.. DO treat ALL so that those less effected won't become new sitting targets.
I feed dia. earth in their feed and that seems to make a big difference, too.
Big difference in what?

There are studies that show DE is NOT effective against internal parasites OR in wet conditions or on external parasites in humid conditions (like mine here on the coast). It even says so right on the package.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

"Medical-grade diatomite has been studied for its efficacy as a deworming agent in cattle; in both studies cited the groups being treated with diatomaceous earth did not fare any better than control groups"

The control group is the one not treated or given a placebo.

I invite ALL folks who use DE as internal parasite treatment to get before and after fecal float counts to verify load and efficacy of treatment. So far none will put their money where their mouth is and rather enjoy their false sense of security.

Despite my disagreeing about DE.. I do think you were very helpful AND tried to present a well rounded and accurate, informative series of suggestions.. never indicating that yours was the only or even the best way but just A way. No rudeness intended here, I enjoyed and value your posts.. just discussion.:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom