Help me diagnose what's wrong with my chicken's vent

kauana

Chirping
May 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

Today I noticed that my hen pooped herself really bad so I took her inside to give her a bath. It was all hard and gross so I cut a part of her vent feathers to clean it up.

When I cleaned the area, I noticed that her vent was red and inflamed, almost like she has hemorrhoids. Can someone help me diagnose what's wrong with her?

For context she started laying this month, is eating, drinking, pooping and acting fine. I just gave her a bath with mild dog shampoo and dried her up. Should I give her anything else?

I attached a couple photos, the first one is before I cleaned the area and the second one is after I cleaned it. The red thing went inside, but it's out again and when she poops some of her poop gets stuck to the vent area, probably because it's swollen. Also tried to remove that white thing but only managed to remove half of it. Maybe it could be a tumor?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230401_235350700.jpg
    PXL_20230401_235350700.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20230402_000326039.jpg
    PXL_20230402_000326039.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 12
It looks like a prolapsed vent or cloaca. Keep it moist while it is on the outside, so it doesn’t dry out. Hydrocortisone cream works well, but vaseline, honey, or other mild oil works. Push it back inside if possible. Any straining to poop or pass an egg can make the prolapse come back out.

Back
Top Bottom