1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help me figure out how to use these in a coop:

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oblio13, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Inveterate scrounger that I am, I couldn't resist bringing a bunch of these home from the town scrap-metal pile. They're the doors to commercial front-load washing machines. Round, tempered glass windows two feet in diameter, set in stainless steel rings. I can always just haul them back, but I know that as soon as I do, I'll think of something I could have done with them and regret it.

Do you think they would look too goofy as windows? Maybe windows in doors? I've always wanted to build a sod-roofed coop (insulation in the winter, evaporative cooling in the summer), and maybe these would work as skylights. Anyone got any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Noah's ark themed chicken coop??

I can just see those as the round windows in the front of a boat-shaped coop!

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Whatever you do with them in the coop, you will have *clean living* chickens [​IMG]

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Use them as window or sky lights. The more light the hens get the better they will lay! I think they will look great. I like anything unusual![​IMG]

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

HOBBIT WINDOWS !!! COOL !!!!!!!

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    My husband and I were just talking yesterday about putting skylights in the "next" coop. Those would work great if you could frame around them. What an awesome idea!!!

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I'm lovin' the Noah's ark idea. That would be cool.

8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:It might damage my reputation as a Happy Pagan.

[​IMG]

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Windows, skylights, food bowls, dust bath 'bowl'! I think they are great! I wish I could find something so great at our dump...Dixie

10. KB3GZW

KB3GZW Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Lehigh County, Pa
    Quote:Thats what I was thinking. Its a Boat Hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by